Yule Ball

She was so nervous.

Never in her life did Hermione think that she would be getting so worked up over some silly ball, but she was. She was so nervous.

She had spent hours on everything, her hair, her makeup, and making sure her dress was crinkle free, which she had checked at least twenty times now.

This was what lead her to be slightly late as well.

She had been so preoccupied on how she looked and what she was going to do when she got there, that she hadn't even realised that she was running late.

So here she was now, stood hiding behind a pillar, afraid out of her life that she'll still be made fun of, despite her futile efforts to look somewhat, pretty.

She slowly started peering her head around the corner to have a quick glance at the crowd that waited below the stairs.

The moment her eyes landed on how many people were down there, she quickly brought her head back, and hid completely behind the pillar once again.

Her back pressed firmly against the wall, as though she wanted to dissolve into it and flee from the ball, she took deep breaths and gained some confidence before she completely stepped out from her hiding spot and made her way to the middle of the stairs, praying to Merlin himself, that she did not fall.

~

From across the hall, Draco stood leaning lazily against the wall trying desperately to drown out the noise of Pansy going on and on about how long it took her to get ready.

He was just about to snap at her to shut up before he actually lost the will to live before his attention was diverted and he could no longer hear a single word Pansy was saying.

Never mind what Pansy was saying, he couldn't hear anything around him.

All of the noise had turned into a soft hum as all of his senses were diverted to a flash of Periwinkle across from him.

His eyes managed to focus on the blur of blue until it turned into a person and he practically felt his jaw drop and hit the stone floor below.

There, just across the hall from him, halfway down the grand staircase, Draco's eyes saw Hermione Granger almost floating down the stairs, basically glowing with beauty.

He was speechless, he simply could not take his eyes off of her.

She looked completely different, if it had not been from the slight proud smirk at the corner of her lips that showed the perfect little dimple at the bottom of her cheek, then Draco would not have know it was her.

Her usual bushy, out-of-control hair was pulled back and was now braided neatly at the back of her head, and a few stray, brown curls cascaded softly down onto her shoulder.

She had light makeup that made all of her best features stand out perfectly. Her soft, golden-specked eyes looked even bigger than usual and just made her even more beautiful to Draco than she already was.

He wanted to go over, to tell her everything that he thought about her, ask her to dance with him, and he hadn't even taken one step forward before his view was blocked by a flash of black hair.

"Draco! Were you even listening to anything I was saying?!" Pansy practically screeched in Draco's face.

"Oh um, I was just uhhh..." Draco trailed off again as he looked to the side of Pansy and his heart sank slightly as he saw Hermione walk off with her arm linked with Viktor Krum's.

"Hello?!" She hissed again as she snapped her fingers in front of his face and his attention was diverted back to her as Hermione disappeared back into the crowd and Draco could no longer see any hints of Periwinkle.