chapter thirty

~♛~

~♛~

gracie's pov:

"wow, jones, props to you. it's very lovecraftian." toni smiled, after reading jughead's article. "although, i suppose that's what you were going for. but did you write this on a typewriter?"

jug nodded. "uh, yeah, i wanted to get into lovecraft's headspace."

"oh." i chuckled. "so it wasn't like betty bought you a typewriter for christmas or anything?"

he snatched the paper from toni and i. "no comment." he blushed.

sweetpea and fangs cheered, bursting through the exit doors of the school and out onto the stone steps we were sat on.

"what's going on?"

"this hell-hole is officially closed. no more southside high!"

"what? how?"

"it's gonna be quarantined. because that english teacher was the candy man." they explained. "we're going to different schools."

"this doesn't make sense— where are you guys going?"

"same as you three." sweetpea said. "we're going to riverdale high."

"think of all those northside heads to knock!" fangs laughed, play-fighting with pea.

~♛~

"friends. on behalf of the students and faculty here at riverdale high, welcome to your new school." veronica stood at the welcome table with archie, greeting my brother and i and the new southsider students.
i saluted her.
"to ease this transition, we've set up a registration desk, where you can get locker assignments, schedules, and a list of extracurriculars. we encourage every one of you to drink deeply from the cup that is fair riverdale." she beamed.

"stand down, eva peron." cheryl rolled her eyes, strutting down the stairs with reggie and the vixens (who were all opposed to the attendance of the new arrivals) by her side.

"there's the school spirit i so fondly remember." jughead remarked sarcastically.

"cheryl, no one invited fascist barbie to the party." veronica snapped.

"wrong, veronica. no one invited southside scum to our school."
i rolled my eyes.
"listen up, ragamuffins. i will not allow riverdale high's gpa to suffer because of classrooms overcrowded with underachievers. so, please, find some other school to debase with your hard scrabble ways."

toni crossed her arms. "why don't you come over here and say that to my face?"

"happily, queen of the buskers." cheryl smiled bitterly.

"alright, alright." i stepped between them. "chill out."

"can't we put our northside-southside differences aside and start over? a new start?" archie frowned.

"you don't speak for the bulldogs." reggie interrupted. "need i remind you, these greaser snakes showed up at your place to kick your ass."

"time to finish what we started." sweetpea growled, stepping forward, but jughead pushed him back.

"i am so over the toxic masculinity in this hallway right now."

"alright, enough pomp and circumstance." principal weatherbee said firmly. "everyone, get to class. now."

i chuckled, grabbing cheryl's arm and dragging her into a nearby classroom. "i can't believe you think i'm scum." i pouted jokingly.

she put her arms around my neck and trailed her thumb across my cheek. "you'd better believe it."

"i knew you missed me." i grinned, glancing at her plump, red lips.

"maybe." she admitted, leaning forward to kiss me, but instead, walking away to tease me.

"cher!"

"off to class, fleabag." she smiled in complacency.

~♛~

"fair warning, our shadow lake chalet is rustic, but it has breathtaking views of the mountains, the water—"

"oh my god. that sounds heavenly, vee." betty smiled. "what do you say, juggy? can you bear it?"

"as long as it's cool with mr lodge." jughead shrugged.

"he suggested it." archie nodded.

"sort of, a couples romantic getaway."

i pushed a few coins into the vending machine. "i'm guessing that means i'm not invited?" i pouted.

"sorry, cee." veronica genuinely apologised.

i was just still in shock of finding out that veronica and archie were together.
i nodded. "it's fine. i wanted to see that new movie, love simon, this weekend, anyways."

"well, then, cue the duelling banjos." my brother smiled, and we all gave him a look. it was so unlike him to be excited about stuff like that. "what? it'll be a good chance for me to work on my novel."

"excellent. but remember, the point of this luxury weekend is to relax and unplug." veronica reminded, and archie nodded.

"luxury and weekend. two of my favourite words." cheryl smiled, waltzing into the student lounge and stopping in front of the couch. "so, where are we going and how extravagant of a wardrobe should i pack?" she clasped her hands together.

"sorry, cheryl. it's kind of a romantic,
couples-only weekend."

"i see. of course, my mistake. in that case, i'm sure you wouldn't mind gracie and i attending together."

i turned around from where i was choosing my snacks at the vending machine.
"me?" i pointed at my chest.

cheryl nodded. "pick me up friday evening at 5pm." she left the lounge.

archie, jughead, betty and veronica all turned to me and raised their eyebrows. "cheryl blossom?"

i grinned, popping a sweet tart into my mouth. "i don't kiss and tell."

~♛~