Landslide

Stevie walks into her beautiful beachside house, greeted by an eager Ginny. 

"You, Ginny, I could tell anything. If only humans were like that." Stevie sighed to herself as she walked into her bathroom to run a bath. With her, she took her journal and began to write. 

Dear Little One~

Today I saw your Daddy. He has the most beautiful blue eyes. Imagine if you got those eyes! And his hair, deep brown and curls for days. I hope you look just like your Daddy. He's the most beautiful man I've ever seen. I'm wearing a special ring from him today. It used to signify my love for him, but now it signifies my love for you, too. Everything I do now is for you. I promise to always protect you, and to always love you. 

I love you endlessly, Little One. 

Love,

Mommy

A single tear rolled down her face as she wrote the word, Mommy. All she wanted was to be a mother. She had been pregnant two other times in her life, but this time felt different. She was so elated about her life at that exact moment. Then she thought about Lindsey and knew that she had to tell him sooner or later. As much as she wanted to tell him later, every fiber of her being was telling her to tell Lindsey sooner. She got out of the warm tub and threw a nightie on as she headed to the phone. She dialed the number, and again a woman's voice answered. This time it was familiar. 

"Hi, uh, Carol Ann? This is Steph- uh, Stevie. Stevie Nicks, from Fleetwood Mac. Is Lindsey there? I need to talk to him."

"He's here, in the other room. Now listen to me. I'm the woman in his life now, so don't get any funny ideas. I know the rumors about your little affairs, and I'm not gonna let a coke whore like you get in the way of anything." Carol Ann said in a terrifyingly nonchalant and sweet tone, as only a young woman could do. Stevie shuddered. A lump formed in her throat and she tried to hold back her tears. 

"I didn't have any plans to do that. I just want to speak to Lindsey, please. I wanted to talk to him about a song we worked on today."

Carol Ann sighs loudly through the phone. Stevie worries that the receiver is picking up her rapid heart rate as she waits to hear Lindsey's voice. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, I just wanted to finish talking to you about earlier. So, uh, about a month ago, you and I we- we, slept together. And..." Stevie takes a long pause while her hands shake. She decides that can't do this over the phone.

"Listen, can you just come over tonight? I want to talk to you about this but I can't do it over the phone." Stevie hears Lindsey shut a door.

"Steph, you sound scared. Is everything alright?" Lindsey calling her Steph sent chills up Stevie's spine. Besides her family, Lindsey was the only person in the world to call her by her birth name. There was something much more personal and intimate about it. Stevie almost felt relieved to be called Steph. 

"Just, I'm fine," she reassured Lindsey, "can you just please come over tonight? Tell Carol Ann we're going over a song. It's really important. I need you, Linds."

"Ok, now you're scaring me. I'll be right over."