Chapter 3- Mashed Potatoes Or Green Beans?

Start from the beginning

"Exactly." Clicking my tongue, I noticed we had turned a corner. I thought nobody would be there because... well, who willingly goes to math in lunch.

Besides me, of course.

Technically, I didn't even want to be there but a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do to get an extension.

But someone was in that hallway.

And that person was one of the worst people I ever had to endure in my seventeen years of life.

The single person I loathed. The single person I hated to see but saw almost every day.

And that person was Chynna Li.

God, I hated her.

I should explain, we were friends a while ago. In fact, she was in our group. That was until she did the most despicable thing I could ever think of.

But that's for another time.

Right then, she was standing with her best friend Georgia Martinez who was playing with her thumbs as Chynna rambled on about who knows what. It was loud enough so anyone in a mile could hear.

I rolled my eyes and looked at Vic who had the same look on her face. After all, we were like twins. The next Ben and Damon.

I decided I wasn't going to talk to her because if I did a full blown out argument would've erupted.

I hadn't seen her in a while— thank heavens. But it surely wasn't long enough because the minute I saw her, energy drained out of me.

"Well, well, well," She spoke like she was in a Disney channel movie. "If it isn't Hayley Campbell."

My no talking rule really left as soon as it came.

"Hey, Chynna. Do you smell that?" I asked.

She sniffed the air— just like I wanted her to. That's right, she stepped right into my trap.

"It smells like mashed potatoes," I smirked at Chynna's gritted teeth and the lines forming on her forehead.

"You bitch!" Chynna yelled, her voice echoing in the empty hallway.

Last week, in the cafeteria, my group and I were having a civilised discussion about which was better. Mashed potatoes or green beans?

Everything was perfectly fine until Chynna and Georgia thought it was a divine idea to come up behind me.

Anyways, things got a little out of hand and before I knew it the mashed potatoes fell out of my hand.

And onto Chynna's head.

It wasn't my fault! She crossed a line when she mentioned him.

Long story short, I started a food fight between our entire year. It was hilarious seeing food stuck in everyone's hair and clothes.

Unlucky for me, someone snitched and said I started it so I had detention coming up this week.

However, lucky for me, I was close with my principal and got my 'sentence' reduced to 3 days of cleaning up the music room.

All those years of sucking up to the principal really payed off.

I hadn't been in the music room since I was probably fifteen so a lot of memories were going to be unlocked there.

Suddenly, a sly grin appeared on Chynna's face. "Really? All I smell is Ryder's cologne."

My body froze. The blood stopped pumping in my veins. I stopped blinking. My face paled. My breathing was on pause. I hadn't heard his name in so long.

Unable to resist, my lip trembled and I wasn't quick enough to hide it from Chynna. She seemed satisfied enough and turned on her heel, waking away from me with Georgia following close behind her. She purposely nudged my shoulder and I didn't do a single thing about it.

Instead, like an idiot, I stayed still. I let her get away with it.

The halls radiated silence. Nothing but Chynna's words bouncing off the walls, consuming me again.

"Hayls." Vic pulled me into a hug. I stayed still for a second before returning it. "Are you okay?"

Burying my face in the crook of her neck, I mumbled a yeah.

She let go and said, "Lets get you that extension."

Slowly, I nodded and realised I was close to my class. I should've just stayed in the cafeteria and endured the noise.

~

Once I explained into extreme depth about why I needed longer for my homework, I finally got it. A weight was lifted from my shoulders.

Vic had to leave early and get back to Amalia and copy her homework. Classic Victoria.

When I left the classroom, my head hung low as I walked down. My eyes were pressed close and I kept quiet.

I really shouldn't have let her words get to me but they did. It was just so hard to let go.

It sounded quiet and I thought I was alone.

Key word is thought.

Suddenly, I bumped into a figure and almost fell on the floor. He was incredibly tall
to say the least. It was the second most eye catching feature. The first was... well, his eyes. They were the most vibrant shade of emerald green and they somehow managed to twinkle in the horrible school lighting. He had a strong yet lean body with a sweatshirt on and jeans.

"I'm sor-" I started.

I was cut off by a disgruntled sound. "Fuck's sake."

I scoffed, not believing the guy's audacity. "Rude much?"

His eyebrows raised. "Excuse me?"

"I was apologising and you are acting like an ass." I looked him up and down in disapproval.

"I don't have time to deal with stuck up princesses," he retorted.

Who was this guy? I had never seen him before ever and not even a second of meeting him, he got on my bad side.

I blinked. "Oh, I'm the stuck up one? You are the one acting like you own the school!" My tone was rising as anger boiled inside of me.

"Love, why would I want to own this dump?" He asked me.

Honestly, I didn't know how to react to this sentence. To be frank, I agreed with him but I wasn't going to let him know that.

Also, did he call me Love?

Why was that familiar. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I definitely heard it...but where?

"You tell me, your highness. Get off your high horse and accept my apology!" I demanded with a stomp of my foot.

He opened his mouth, about to say something but the bell rang, putting him out of his misery.

I raised my hand in front of his face. "I don't have time for your next sentence which is probably a load of shit. I have class," I announced and hurried off to history.

Where was this confidence coming from? This was totally unlike me. Something had taken over me. Maybe it was the anger that had spited me.

Something about the way he didn't even let me speak annoyed me so much. If I had to so much as see him one more time, it would be the death of me.

One conversation with him was enough to last a lifetime.

I had a feeling he always had to be right. I gathered that from him cutting me off every chance he got.

The good thing was that for a second- a small
second- I had forgotten what Chynna said.

AN Hey yall! So you met Chynna and found out about Ryder. But who is this guy? ;) Read to find out.

As for the rude guy in the hall. Mmm who is he and why is he so mad?

I'm listening to I Wanna Be Yours by Artic Monkeys as I write this. What is your favourite song l? I'd love to know and add it to my playlist :))

Vote and comments, my Loves.
Z~