Part 3

Ventar slipped through the massive entry way, Quentin following close behind him.

"Wait, look," his friend said, pointing at the iron arch they were standing under. "In the pattern, there are three words that stand out. The letters are more complex, since we've simplified the characters over time, but I can still read them since I had to study the ancient texts to get a degree in Ancient Societies and Texts. They say 'The Lost Coral.' I wonder what that means."

"I know," a voice said, the words slicing through Ventar's brain.

"Who are you? What do you want?" he demanded, shielding Quentin with his body.

"I would ask you the same," the voice said, "but I already know why. You are Ventar Nightseeker, and that young merman behind you is Quentin Abner. You are here to find more about the past. And one of you will claim the throne."

"Sorry, sir," Quentin said, peeking over Ventar's shoulder. "We're here to find treasure for our queen."

"Perhaps you'll change your mind," the voice said. Tentacles slithered into sight. Dark, green, slimy tentacles. Slowly, suction cups popping one by one, a monster pulled itself out of the shadows. Tiny onyx bead eyes jutted from the sides of its massive head. Or was it its body? The gaping mouth was filled with dozens of sharp teeth. It was a kraken.

"Follow me," the kraken said, his tentacles flopping as he dragged himself inside the massive stone castle.

Ventar looked at Quentin. He pushed himself slightly backwards with a flick of his tail. Ventar gave his friend a shrug that said he's a kraken. He'll eat us if we run anyways. Let's just see more about this first. He pulled Quentin forward into the castle.

Inside, the palace seemed almost untouched. High ceilings, expensive furnishings, wide windows. A normal castle.

The kraken moved aside, revealing a silver crown, adorned with pearls and emeralds. Opals shown from the points.

"This crown is for the king of the deep. According to legend, he will return to the Lost Coral and reclaim the throne. He will rule the land of the sea monsters and sharks as the son of man and fish. The crown will give the wearer invincibility and immortality as long as they stay inside the kingdom. And I believe that king is one of you," the kraken said pointing a tentacle at the two teens.

"Uh, yeah, I don't think so. That would be betraying our queen," Quentin said. "We are loya-"

He stopped, his body crumbling to the ground. Ventar was standing over him, holding a stone. He knew his friend would eventually understand, but he wouldn't have let Ventar take the throne. Quentin would have stopped him from becoming something great, and he couldn't let that happen.

"So do I," Ventar said, taking the crown in his hands. "I think that king is me."

The End

Yay! I finished! The lost coral is a short story and takes place about 60 years before Indigo's Story and it really isn't connected to ANY of the other stories I'm gonna write, but this is for Grant! I can sacrifice any amount of time for my little bubby! (the auto correct changed it to hubby. I'm  still hot and single, people!)

Yours truly,

Laura Pratt *waves and blows kisses to non-existent fans*