Chapter 12: Wonders

The cafe was one of the oldest in the city and it was well-known by everyone for the best croissants and caramel macchiato. Ben and Robin made their way in and were immediately met by a wave of heat. They wanted to remove their coat and hoodie but knew it was better if they didn't. The shop had been split into four parts. The region on their right held a stage and a mic that was waiting to be connected to the speakers. The place where they stood and the one on their left hand had seats that were ready to be occupied while everyone sat in front of the bar-like café. There was a counter right in front of them where orders could be given and the extended counter on their left was where the orders and takeaways were handed over.

"What would you like to have?" He asked her while glancing through the menus that were laid out over the counters.

He shrugged. "Coffee, I guess. I'm definitely going to go into a sugar coma tonight and it will totally be worth it."

"Same thing for me. Croissants?" She loved cheese croissants more than anything in the world but never found a shop that would give her the same melting-in-the-mouth delights like the ones she got back at home.

"Why not? They look to die for," he spoke what was running in both their minds when the fresh batch was placed in the display.

"Are you a pizza or a pasta person?" She asked as they stood in the line that would lead to the cashier.

"Both. It depends on the situation really."

"What do you want to have today? Like, right now at this moment."

"The weather makes me want to have pizza."

"Then we can go over to Papa Joe's next before we continue on our little adventure."

His eyes widened, recognising the name of the restaurant. "I have heard great things about their restaurant. Will we get a place to sit though?" It seemed like a busy day and that only reduced their chances of getting a table at one of the most respectable restaurants in town.

She smiled at the similar worries that they had in mind. "There is no harm in trying, right?"

Once they reached the cash counter, the manager from the back exclaimed in joy and walked out to greet them. "Ah, thank goodness you are here!" He sent a flying kiss towards the roof, clearly indicating it to God. "Michael sent you, right?" He asked Robin.

She shook her head. "No, sorry."

"No? Oh God! We need someone for the opening act before the band arrives. We are really dependent on this. Can you play?" He asked with his hands joined together, his eyes indicating to the guitar case that she was carrying on her shoulders.

"I-"

"She would love to."

Robin looked at Ben with rage in her eyes. He had intervened and had agreed on her behalf. She would have strangled him if it wasn't for the manager, Mr. D'Souza, who was gleaming with joy. "Fabulous! What's your name?"

She was given no time to reply when Ben replied once again on her behalf after which Mr. D'Souza walked towards the open stage and started announcing about the newcomer in town. "What the hell was that?" She whispered loudly.

"You can finally showcase your talent!"

"You've never even heard me play!"

Ben gave her a smug smile. "Now I will."

"You....." She moved her hands forward as if to choke the air out of him but she knew there was no turning back. She had been pushed into Hell. "What am I going to do?" She bit her lower lip and fiddled with her thumbs, moving them in clockwise directions.

Ben somehow knew that she needed to be more open about her talents. He realised it when she voiced out her concern for her style of writing. "You can do this," he said, clamping his hands on her shoulder. "Go Hale!" He cheered, punching the air with one hand.

"I'm going to kill you," she threatened before the manager read her name out and motioned for her to take the stage. Robin's hands trembled as she picked up the guitar from the case. She scolded herself for having had the silly thought of bringing it along with her in the first place. "Damn it," she whispered to herself when she saw the number of people in the café. There weren't more than eight of them but it felt like the crowd at Wembley Theatre to her.

"Hello." She spoke into the mike and tried not to smile at how ridiculous her voice sounded. "I want to post a warning beforehand that I am not the best player but...." The audience laughed in praise at her honesty. "I'm going to sing my favourite song, probably because it is the only one that I know to play without panicking." She was glad for the manager's honesty about the slight sudden change of plans.

Ben did not regret his decision at giving out her name because he found himself stuck to where he stood when she started to sing and play. It was as though Heaven walked on Earth for two and a half minutes. Her voice made him sway to the tunes of life and he was almost in tears when the last chord struck. He was the first one to start clapping and Robin was sure that she was going to cry and she did not care about being made fun of because of that.

She walked off the stage when the band arrived at exactly the right time. She made her way to where Ben now sat and packed her guitar into the case. "I hate you."

"I thought I was your favourite," he said to change her mood.

"Between ice cream and you, I would choose ice cream." Her head hung low as she sat down opposite him. She buried her face in her hands and placed her forehead on the cold surface of the table.

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "You can't tell me that you didn't have fun because you are really talented, Robin! I don't think I've ever found myself stuck to my shoes in a really long time."

She looked up from the table. It was as though he was studying her mood because he looked fascinated. She had only ever seen him look that way in movies. "I might have had a little fun."

"Little seems too small, don't you think?"

She tried to suppress a smile because he saw right through her lie. She had been wanting to explore music and he had given her the exact opportunity that she was looking for. Playing in front of other people? Check. "Thank you."

He leant back on his chair and rested his hands on either side. "You're welcome."

"But this doesn't let you get away with my five questions." She said, pointing her index finger at him.

"I never said it would!" He lifted his shoulders at that accusation. "Although I hoped that it would because I'm not a very good talker. Listening, on the other hand, I'm quite good at."

"All right." She started to change the topic. "I want to know if you need help with the notes that you mentioned earlier. You could use third-party advice. I'll be the....beta reader. Beta actress?" She wondered. "I want to be Alpha though."

He smiled at her attempt to push aside her anxiety. "I would like that, thank you."

A Flight's Desireजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें