𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟻𝟶: 𝚁𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜

One's body fell to the pavement as a darkness covered her vision

One's body fell to the pavement as a darkness covered her vision. She couldn't tell if it was from her slow descent into unconsciousness or the large shadow of the Mind Flayer's monstrous form looming over her, and she didn't know which one was worse.

"Have you finally given up?" James' voice echoed faintly in One's head.

It took a moment for One to register the words spoken to her because exhaustion was slowly shutting down her body part-by-part, but she had just enough energy left in her to press a smile across her face and answer, "You wish."

As badly as One's broken body wanted to accept defeat, she knew she couldn't. Allowing the Mind Flayer to take her would not only incite the end for her, but the end for her friends and family as well. Somehow she was still breathing, albeit barely, and she could only determine one reason for this: the universe wanted her to clean up her mess.

She had been the one to bring James to the Upside Down. Even if it wasn't on purpose, it was because of her decision to escape the Lab that James had been exposed to the power of the Upside Down and transformed into the monster that now towered over her. As One contemplated this, a thought suddenly struck her. The power.

If James had been able to tap into the power of the Upside Down, surely she could too. She just had to figure out how...and she didn't have much time. One of James' tentacles was spiraling down upon her and she was currently powerless to stop it.

One shut her eyes tight so that she could focus all her energy on the power. As she tuned into the atmosphere around her, she got lost in the darkness past her eyelids and began to see images. She saw Steve and Hopper and Eleven and the party...Their wordless mouths moved in silent shapes but she couldn't decipher their messages.

One's eyes darted open in excitement when she felt a tickle across her skin but she quickly realized that it was just the wind generating from James' tentacle, which was inching closer and closer to her with every blink of her eyes. As the limb descended and sealed One inside, a silence met her that contrasted greatly with the chaos that had surrounded her just moments ago; a terrifying silence, a lonely silence.