𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟿: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚎

"It's time, One," Dr

"It's time, One," Dr. Brenner announced as he opened her door. She glanced up from where she was sitting on her cot, a broken look smeared across her face.

"Yes, Papa," she answered dully, her body moving robotically as she pushed herself to her feet and joined Dr. Brenner at the door. He put his hand on her shoulder and led her down the hallway.

One shuffled slowly at his side in her white hospital gown, her eyes staring ahead but not really seeing anything. It had been four months of constant trials, and she had quickly gotten better and stronger. She had been forced to make so many portals that it almost became second-nature to her. Sometimes she would awake in the middle of the night from a loud noise and open her eyes to see a portal to an airport floating above her head. One time she accidentally opened a portal to the middle of a forest and a squirrel got into her room.

She never considered escaping through these portals, though. Perhaps because she was too broken and dead inside. Perhaps because she didn't even know what she would escape to. Any memories of her former life, of whatever family she once had, were either deeply buried or gone forever. Or replaced. Replaced with memories of the Lab and Papa, the only home and family she knew.

She continued along at his side, her hand hanging limply in his. She didn't know where he was taking her but she assumed it meant she'd have to use her powers again. She instinctively wiped her nose.

At last they reached their destination and Dr. Brenner motioned for her to step inside. Before her sat a squat man with an impatient gaze. He looked her up and down with an unimpressed glare before sighing and checking his watch.

"It's been exactly a year, Brenner," Mr. Munson said plainly. "Show me what you've got."

"I won't let you down, sir," Dr. Brenner promised.

"You better not," Mr. Munson huffed. "For your own sake. You remember what's on the line?"

"Yes, sir," Dr. Brenner stammered.