That hurt

"I used to think my purpose was to make you happy, Father. I realize now that that's impossible. I used to want to make you proud, Father, but you never were."

You're getting choked up.

"I'll never fucking understand why you always looked down on me, Dad! You only respected me because I could win in a fight! I have to hear from everybody else that you care, why didn't I hear it from you?! And why the fuck can't I hate you?! I want to with every fiber of my fucking being!"

You turn your back to him, tears streaming down your face.

"I used to think that there was something wrong with me, Dad. You never hugged me. You were distant, when I left, you barely said goodbye. I'm done, Dad. I tried everything. You never loved me, you never cared."

"I'm sorry."

"Even if you were my real Dad, it's too late for that."

You leave him alone.

"Y/N?" You open your eyes to see Toph worriedly hunched over you. You feel streaks on your face. "Another bad dream?"

"Yeah?"

"What was it this time?"

"Dad. I told him everything that I've kept inside for a long time."

"Good. You're okay?"

"I think so."

She drops her head into your chest. "You had me so fucking worried, you know that? It's not proper relationship etiquette to worry me this much."

"I'm sorry. I love you, thank you for putting up with my shit."

"Are you kidding? I'd rather put up with your shit for an hour a day then not be with you at all. I love you too much to do that." She kisses you, "I will never leave you. You're stuck with me."

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

"These people have no idea how close they were to getting toasted last night." Aang realizes.

"Yeah. The worst thing about being in disguise is we don't get the Hero Worship anymore. I miss the love." Toph says. You kiss her on the side of her head. "I appreciate the thought, Graceless, but I meant a different kind of love."

"Boo hoo, poor heroes." Sokka says. He's sitting alone.

"What's the problem?" Katara asks, "You haven't even touched your smoked sea slug."

"It's just that you guys can do this cool bending stuff and have an epic legacy or fantastic instincts, you guys can do literally anything! I can't do that kind of stuff. I'm the only one here that's useless."

"Don't say that." You abruptly command, standing up and sitting next to him, "Let me tell you a story. Everyone in my family wanted to fight. They had grandiose personalities, bending powers, muscle mass that'd make The Boulder shit himself, and look at me. I'm seperate, I'm different, I'm unique. I made people take me seriously. Believe it or not, Sokka, your circumstances don't command your life. You do. You are funnier than I'll ever be, you're kind and compassionate, you have the makings of a warrior already, you need to bring that power out of yourself. None of us see you as worthless or stupid, I joke around too much. You are the son of General Hakoda, the best leader in the Southern Water Tribe's long history,a man whose efforts have helped shift the fate of the war. Your sister is the greatest waterbender I've ever seen and you Sokka, you have all the potential to be the greatest non-bender I've ever met." This speech cheers him up, "Atta boy, now how about we go shopping, huh?"