Chapter 2

Kayton’s POV

I looked back at Lyn to make sure she was okay. Her grip on my hand tightened each step we went further into the woods. Suddenly, she pulled us to a halt. I looked back at her with ‘wtf?’ look, but then I realized why. I looked around at the familiar open area and the whole incident flooded back into my mind.

The yellow eyes of the wolf and the way it stalked Lyn; his teeth snarling. The Lyn I knew wouldn’t shake with fear, ever, but she had given me a look of scare I never want her to give me again. Then only a high pitch scream left her before the wolf hit her, head on, in the side and her body flew like a ragdoll into the tree. The unbelievable anger I felt then began to resurface and I growled, lowly.

I must have let go of her hand and looked ready to transform because Lyn regripped my hand. “Kayt, I’m okay. There’s no wolf.”

“That’s right! There’s only a person!” Zo shouted, jumping out from behind a tree and held his gun out in front of him. I still had the feeling of anger and ended up grabbing onto his neck. I rammed him into the tree he had been hiding behind.

“Whoa!” He exclaimed. “It’s just a game, man!” He gripped onto my hand to keep me from choking him; I wasn’t putting that much pressure on my grip. If I wanted him dead, he’d be dead already. I’ve learned from, the one and only, Alpha Rapattoni, my dad.

“I got you, bro!” Raquel yelled, running full speed at me, and tackled me to the ground. Zo scrambled up and pointed his gun at Lyn. I fought to get Raquel off of me and, quickly, grabbed my gun; pointing it at Raq.

“Don’t do it, man.” We stated, slitting our eyes.

‘What’re you doin? Shoot Raquel.’ I said to Lyn, eyeing Raquel.

 She nodded, subtly. 'Distract him. I got both.'

I pretended to make peace and reached my hand out. “Hey, truths? We could team up to take the others down.”

Zo backed up, not letting his guard down. "No, I know what you’re doing.”

“Do you?” I sneered.

A bullet hit him right in the arm and he threw his gun down. “Damn it!”

“Fuck!” Raquel exclaimed and I looked over to see her throwing her gun down too; a bullet lay on the ground not too far from her.

“That’s right! You don’t mess with the Rapattoni twins!” Lyn and I shouted, fist bumping the air, then we chest bumped.

I looked over at Lyn. ‘So, you over your fear?’

‘Not completely.’ She shrugged. Then she smirked. ‘But I realized I don’t have anything to worry about. You’ll always have my back.’

‘And you'll always have mine. Now, let’s go finish the rest off.' I smirked.

A wicked grin placed her face and she held her gun up. 'Let’s do this.'

***

I stared down a barrel of a gun in my face and past it was a smirking Zach.

“I told Raquel I would win this for her and I’m going to." He stated, very cheesy. From behind him, I could see Veralyn crawling to grab my gun I had lost in a slight wrestle, then she ducked behind a tree.

She peeked back around and set her aim on Zach’s back. ‘Got him’

I smirked. “Zach, I think you’ve seem to forget about another certain Rapattoni twin.”

His smirk fell. “Shit...” He started to look for Lyn. As soon as he set eyes on her, she smirked. “Gotcha.” She pulled the trigger and the dart went straight at his heart.

Lyn and I high-fived. “That’s how it’s done Rapattoni style!”

“Yeah, yeah.” Zach muttered. “You always win.”

“Not always." Veralyn said, seriously.

I weighed my hand. “Yeah… only about 98 percent of the time we do.” Then we laughed, high-fiving again.

“Anyone up for ice cream? It’s on the winners.” Veralyn asked as everyone crowded around in our area. Everyone chimed his or her “Yeah”, so we headed out.

‘You wanna race to the ice cream parlor?’ I challenged.

She looked at me like I had gone insane. ‘Pff, yeah! Always!’

I switched my gear to three, speeding up ahead of her. I could just feel Veralyn laughing, which made me laugh. As we neared the ice cream parlor, I sped up just a bit and cut her off to get in the parking lot first.

I pulled my helmet off with a smug look. "Beat you!”

Veralyn pulled her helmet off, rolling her eyes. “Doesn’t matter. I beat you this morning.”

I shoved her lightly and she shoved me back. We laughed as we merged into the ice cream shop with everyone else.

“What’re you gonna get?” I asked.

She gave me a devious look and we chorused, “Teenage Turtle Sundae!”

A Teenage Turtle Sundae is mint chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge, crushed peanuts, and whip cream on top; in that order.

We ordered a double to share, then waited for everyone else to order so we could pay. I felt a slight pang in my chest as I watched Justin and Peyton share a vanilla ice cream cone. I know Lyn noticed.

A moment later she asked, ‘What’s wrong, Kayt?’

‘Uhm… nothing.' I replied, shoving more of the mint chocolate ice cream in my mouth.

She shot me a look. ‘That didn’t sound like nothing. C’mon, you can tell me.’

I rolled my eyes. ‘It’s just… I’m jealous of Justin and Peyton. I want to find my mate and be with her.’

‘I know that feeling.' She scoffed and we, both, laughed under our breath.

“Mhmm, I think this sundae is especially good since we won.” Veralyn said, a bit smugly.

That earned an eyeroll from everyone, not including me; I had the same smug look on my face. We do make a great team.

Suddenly, I felt Lyn tense up and her skin went a bit pale.

‘What?’ I asked, a bit worried.

‘Dad.’ She gulped.

I nodded, slowly. ‘You forgot to talk to Baxter, didn’t you?’

She gave me a sheepish look. ‘It’s not that I forgot.. I just didn’t want to do it. Dad just ripped one on me.’

‘We better get going then.’ I stated, throwing away the empty bowl.

We waved bye to everyone. "See, you, guys tomorrow.”

***

When Lyn and I walked through the front door, uncomfortable uncles 5 Seconds of Summer and one semi-angry looking Alpha dad were standing there.

“Hey...Dad...” Veralyn said. Then she greeted all the uncles, giving them hugs. “How’re the mates and kids?”

“Doing well." Michael replied.

“Awesome!” Ashton exclaimed, excitedly. He always has so much energy.

“Fantastic.” Calum made a short nod.

Luke made a small smile. “Cheridan misses you. Sorry she couldn’t come.”

Veralyn shook her head. “No problem. I’ll video chat her later.”

Veralyn, finally, reached dad and gave him a sheepish look, pointing down the hall towards the study. “I’ll just go talk to Baxter now.”

“Uh-huh,” Is all our dad said and she disappeared down the hallway.

It was my turn to greet the uncles. "Hey!”