The View From The Afternoon

Start from the beginning

“I guess we'll find out when we get home.” He adjusted his foot and Toothless picked up speed once more.
---
“Are you sure about this, flower?”

I was holding a few bags in my hands, standing at the top of the staircase. My mother stood near the front door, several more in her grip and a sorrowful expression on her face. I clenched my jaw, inhaling deeply before nodding.

“I'll leave your bed up there, just in case.” I heard my aunt say from her “bedroom” area. I smiled softly, trying to fight back the threatening tears.

“Okay,” I managed to say before glancing at my mom again. She had been watching me with that face where she wanted to say something but was trying not to. I didn't want to hear it this time. I had made up my mind, and honestly if anyone tried to reason with me about it, I wasn't sure how I'd be able to control myself.

I walked down the steps, making sure not to drop any of my belongings as I made my way to my aunt. She pulled me into a hug, smoothing down the back of my hair.

“I'll miss you. Thank you for taking care of me, ” she whispered. I felt like everyone in this room was trying really hard to make me cry. I nodded into her shoulder and she pulled away, giving me a warm smile.

“Even though you always messed up the soup,” she added in a playful tone and I finally huffed a laugh, rolling my eyes.

“You're very welcome,” I countered before sighing. My mother had not spoken up since her question, so I turned to her.

“Are we ready?” I asked.

“Are we?” she repeated, looking at me expectantly. I bit my lip, resisting the urge to admit that, no, I was not ready.

“Yeah,” I lied, and she stared at me for a couple more seconds before nodding, moving to open the door.

“After you, flower,” she said in a light voice, extending her hand towards outside and my heart hurt at the utter familiarity of the gesture. I started forward, waiting for the sound of her footsteps behind me before heading towards the docks.

“Did you say goodbye to everyone?” my mother asked as we neared our destination. I nodded before pausing.

“Almost everyone,” I admitted under my breath. She gave me a stern look but I shook my head.

“The last person isn't here,” I explained, looking away so that I didn't see her motherly attempt to get me to elaborate. I heard her hum a sigh, but oddly enough she didn't do much more.

We reached our boat after several more minutes of walking. My mother bid farewell to the few villagers we passed, but I was just itching to get on the ship and leave before I changed my mind. After she had been insisting she take my bags, I waited patiently for her to do something other than just stand there the way she had been moments earlier. Finally, she began to climb aboard the boat when she halted, turning back to look at me.

“Do you really want to leave, (Y/N)?” she asked, and I held my breath. She looked really concerned, and I didn't understand why she kept asking me this. I was starting to think that maybe she'd been hoping I'd stay.

“What, are you wanting a house to yourself, mom?” I joked, but she only held my gaze further. I looked up, taking a breath.

“This isn't my home anymore,” I said in a small voice, hugging my arms to my chest. I heard her croon my name softly but I shook my head, starting to walk past her.

“Come on,” I muttered in her direction, and she took the hint to not talk about it.
---
Hiccup and Toothless eventually reached Berk, and the moment they touched ground, Hiccup was already unhinging his prosthetic and hopping off the dragon.