That's Where You're Wrong

I was awoken the next morning by a very insistent mother shaking me from my slumber, rambling on about things I couldn't quite catch the first minute of being conscious.

"Wait, wait, slow down, please, I beg you," I groaned, rubbing at my face. She tutted her tongue at me, waiting impatiently. I took a deep breath, blinking slowly several times before meeting her eyes.

"Hiccup is downstairs and you are making the poor boy wait," she said a couple moments later. I raised my eyebrows, stretching slightly.

"What?" was all I managed. She exhaled harshly, muttering under her breath. I bit back a laugh, lazily watching her head towards the stairs before it finally clicked in my brain what she had been saying.

I bolted out of bed, freezing when I realized I had no idea what was happening nor why he was there in the first place. I settled on brushing my hair while searching for my clothes, placing them on my bed before walking to the staircase. I went down the first couple, peeking my head out. I could spot Hiccup waiting by the front door, my mother apologizing several times.

"Um, hi?" I called out, feeling uncomfortable and under-dressed. They both looked towards me, my mom with a judging glare while Hiccup just grinned.

"May I ask what you're doing here?" I said. I saw my mother mouth my name, a scolding expression on her face but I ignored her, watching the boy currently leaning against the front door.

"Didn't I ask you if I could show you something yesterday?" Hiccup asked. I paused, thinking back to after dinner the night before. He had mentioned wanting to take me somewhere to show me something but I didn't expect it to be so early.

"Wait, that was for today?" I clarified.

"Well, I'm fairly certain I did say 'tomorrow', so.." he drifted off.

"You did not say tomorrow morning, though," I pointed out, but he gave me a confused look.

"I know I didn't, but it's noon," he countered. My eyes widened, and I glanced at my mom.

"It's noon?" I repeated. She nodded, raising her eyebrows.

"Well, that's.. awkward. Whoops," I mumbled, glancing around.

"It's fine, just.. get dressed, would you? I mean, unless you plan on going out like that, then we can go," he added playfully. I childishly stuck out my tongue and he did the same, sending a strange familiar feeling throughout me. It was almost like deja vu, and I assumed our short exchange must have occurred during our childhood, which made sense. I shook my head lightly before disappearing back upstairs, rushing to change. I couldn't quite stop smiling the whole time, not even when I headed downstairs.

"Are you ready?" he asked as my feet hit the final step.

"I don't know, are you ready?" I replied, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm always ready, but I don't know if you're ready," he said, and I could see him fighting a smile.

"I may or may not be ready."

"So is that a yes?"

"Yes," I finally said, grinning.

"Good, 'cause it didn't sound like one. Come on," he gestured to the door and I followed him out.

"Are you planning on telling me where we're going?" I asked as he lead me through the village. I had no idea where he was taking us, and he didn't say anything the day before either.

"Nope," he said simply. I groaned, quickening my pace to be able to walk next to him.

"Are we even going somewhere specific?" I tried. He shrugged, not looking at me. I held my hands up in a questioning gesture, shaking my head.