Chapter 1 - This Town

Author's Note #1:

New fanfic is finally here! :) Hope you like this chapter! Here's a pic of Niall performing This Town in 2016 (aka the time in which this chapter is set)  I also wanted to let you all know that I opened my own MERCH STORE with 1D and solo merch. I obviously have a design for Small Talk. If you want to check it out we're on instagram as shopmwk and our webpage is https://shopmwk.com/  And if you want to know when I post a new chapter, you can follow me on instagram, I always post a story when the chapter's up :) My ig is cristy.lealr

~October 4, 2016~

"And here we have Niall Horan's new single 'This Town'." I hear the radio presenter speak before the first few chords of Niall's song start playing. I immediately switch the station, I always do whenever one of his songs starts to play. Lately it feels as if he's everywhere, anywhere I go either someone mentions his name or one of his One Direction songs starts to play. When I'm walking out on the streets I see huge billboards with his face plastered on them, I can't seem to escape him and I hate it. I had a few months of peace, of not hearing his name or his songs, but now with his debut album being released, it's all starting again. I could barely hold it together when I started seeing him everywhere with One Direction, and now it's going to be even worse. I don't know if I can take it all over again, and I hate the fact that he still has this effect over me. I know it's been over 6  years, but to me, it still feels like it was yesterday, and I'll never forgive him for what he did.

"Hey! I wanted to hear that! Why did you change it?" My roommate, Ashley, complained. Ashley and I met a year ago when I moved to Los Angeles after graduating from college, so she didn't know anything about my past in Mullingar. All she knew was that I was from a little town in Ireland and that I moved to the States 5 years ago when my dad got a job offer in Michigan.

"I hate his songs." I stated. 

"Bitch what? Nobody hates One Direction's songs."

"Well, I do."

"Why? Have you even heard them?"

"I have, and I don't like them." I lied. To be honest, I hadn't even heard any of his songs, I was afraid to listen to them, I didn't want to hear his voice.

"You're so weird."

"I am not." I stuck out my tongue at her.

"Can you at least give it a chance?" She switched back to the station that was playing Niall's song, and as soon as I heard his voice, it felt as if I was back in Mullingar. It felt as if I was back in the good years, before that dreadful summer when it all changed and went to shit.

~May 21st 2009~

"I made you a mix tape." Niall shyly spoke, his cheeks turning red as he handed me a CD, with the words Ace's favorite songs.

"Thank you Nialler." I replied.

"I wanted to be the first person to give you a birthday present, that's why I gave it to you a week early."

"Thank you, I love it." I hugged him.

"So was I?"

"Where you what?" I asked confused.

"The first one to give you a present this year."

"You were." I saw as a smile formed on his face while I said it. "Now come on, let's go listen to it in my room." I grabbed his hand before running up the stairs and into my room. As soon as we got there Niall collapsed into my bed, while I put the CD in the CD player. "Getting comfortable, I see." I told Niall once I saw him sprawled out in my bed.

"This is like my second room. So why not?" He laughed, his laugh was adorable and it filled me with joy. I still remembered the first time I heard him laugh, we were both in 1st grade in Ms. Pritchett's class, and as soon as I heard him laugh I thought to myself 'He's going to be my best friend' and a week later we became inseparable. 9 years later, and we're still inseparable, best friends for life.

"Shut up and make room for me." I said as I shoved him trying to make room for myself in my own bed.

~End of flashback~

"Casey what the fuck? You're in between lanes!" Ash exclaimed all of the sudden, snapping me out of my thoughts and bringing me back to the present.

"Oh my god!" I steered the wheel as quickly as I could to get back into my lane. "I'm so sorry."

"You scared the shit out of me. It was as if you weren't even here."

"Sorry, I got lost in my thoughts."

"So you weren't trying to kill me for making you listen to Niall's song?"

"Of course not!" I exclaimed offended that that thought had crossed her mind, although now that I think about it, maybe I did, unconsciously obviously. Maybe it was my brains' way of protecting me from Niall. 

"And I want to tell you everything
The words I never got to say the first time around
And I remember everything
From when we were the children playing in this fairground
Wish I was there with you now" I heard Niall's voice on the radio after not hearing it for over 4 years. Even though I haven't seen him in 6 years, I still heard his voice from time to time. In the early days of One Direction, it was pretty hard to escape him, so I did have to suffer and listen to his voice while my friends played for me their hit singles, stating that they were the best songs they had ever heard.

"Oh my god." I suddenly whispered to myself as realization hit me, that little fucker had written about us. How could he?

"What? What happened?" My best friend demanded.

"Nothing, that car just drove by a little too close and scared me." I lied.

"Oh okay." She seemed to believe my lie. I had gotten very good at lying as the years passed by, something I had Niall to thank for. The only 'good' thing he'd left me with, if you could call it that. "So, do you like the song? It's pretty good isn't it?"

"Yeah, it's alright." I continued lying. I hated the fact that he was writing about us. How dare he?

"See, I knew you'd like it. You just had to give it a chance." She smiled.

"Yeah, you're right." I forced a smile as well, even though I hated the fact that she had made me listen to Niall's song, a song he had clearly written about us. Now all I could think about was wether he had written the song to spite me or just because. And I had Ash to thank for that, if she hadn't made me listen to his song, I could have continued living my life without the Niall thoughts. Deep down I knew it was my fault for not telling her I knew him, but in my mind, I still held her accountable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note #2:

Hey there guys! So I decided to write another Niall fanfic. I'm seriously hoping that you like it. I know this first chapter is kind of boring, but bear with me. I promise it'll get better. I'm really hoping you enjoy it and any suggestions and/or grammar corrections are more than welcome. Don't forget to follow me, vote and comment, it really helps me out and I'd love to hear your thoughts! If you're obsessed with 1D make sure to check my TikTok account, I upload daily vids of the boys, it's @cristylealr, it would mean the world to me. I'm so grateful for all the love you're giving my stories and my tiktok vids!