Break (Connor x Reader)

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, you are. Ever since you and your fucking people started making trouble, works been getting a lot harder for all of us around here.” Connor’s eye twitches and you know he’s crossed a line. Your own rage is building in your chest, but it’s still nowhere near that of Connors’. He tilts his head in a way you would usually call cute. This was simply threatening.

“If you think this is me making trouble, then I clearly need to be a little… harsher with you, Detective Reed.” Connor takes his hands off his desk, slowly walking around as he talks until he’s standing in front of Reed. Reed’s eyes narrow.

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” He says through gritted teeth, taking a step forward. The two were getting closer, and a fight was bound to happen were they to get any closer. You feel a spark of fear on Connor’s behalf, but Connor doesn’t back away. Instead, his eyes trail over to Reed’s desk, cocking an eyebrow as he crosses his arms. If he was trying to look casual, it wasn’t working.

“Do you like your desk, Gavin?” Connor asks with a dangerous lilt to his voice. It’s such a strange, innocuous question, yet you can see his words still chill Reed to the bone.

“What-” He starts, taking a step forward before Connor interrupts him with a commanding and hate-filled tone, that you simply cannot ignore.

“Would you like me to kick it in half? Destroy any of your property? Maybe your car, or your terminal? Or perhaps I could just take my anger out on you? Since you already seem so set on abusing your co-workers with your infantile tantrums.” Your mouth drops open a bit as you laugh out of nervous shock. As insults went, that was one difficult to come back from. You’re close to high-fiving Connor when you get a better look at Reed. Whether or not he’s is red in the face out of anger, embarrassment or both is unknown to you. His mouth presses into a hard and ugly line, and his body tenses in a way that is all too familiar.

“You little-” Gavin lunges towards Connor, deadly intent in his eyes. You’d seen him lash out like this a billion times, but not today. Not with you around. No, this time, Gavin never reaches his target. This time a resounding crack echoes through the station, Gavin stumbling back with a hand to red, welt marked cheek.

“Don’t you fucking touch him.” You spit through gritted teeth, an inferno burning viciously in your eyes as you stare Reed down. How you’d managed the speed to step between both men, you did not know. You’re half ready to explode and engulf yourself in an angry tirade when the sound of sharp retreating footsteps break you from your thoughts. Connor is stalking out of the bullpen, towards the bathrooms, and with not a single thought more about Reed, you follow him.

He’s already halfway there when you start power walking his way, calling his name as he throws open the door, storming inside. When you reach it you pause. Would it be better to simply leave him alone? No. It’s more important to make sure he’s alright.

With a slow creak, you push open the door, finding Connor leaning over the sink, both hands resting either side and curled into a ball. With a voice just louder than a whisper, you call his name, watching his body tense.

“He’ll never see me as a person, will he?” He doesn’t look up, but you don’t need to see his face to know that he’s hurting. You can feel your heartache as you step forward, shutting the door quietly behind you.

“Connor, I-” You begin but are cut off as he straightens up suddenly, looking at you with brown eyes alight with anger. It’s a frankly terrifying sight.

“I’m a living being! I deserve respect! I deserve to be able to go into my workplace and not have to worry about being shot!” He points a finger to his chest, and you can now see tears brimming in your eyes. Your heart goes from aching to wrenching as you stand there, wordless. Connor slams his fists against the counter, far harder than before.