Peace (Connor x Reader)

You knew it was a bad idea from the start.

You were a police officer. You had to be ready to be on call at all times. Prepared to jump into action in a matter of seconds, to adapt to dangerous situations. Your duty had to come first.

You just wondered why it had to call at a time like this?

Of course, you were getting a call now. Of course, this was happening in the hour you’d been babysitting for your friend. God dammit, how long did getting milk from a grocery store take? You hardly had time to grumble, what with the source of the noise killing your happiness making its presence known more and more by the second.

“Hey, hey shh…” For what felt like the billionth time these past 10 minutes alone, you hushed the tiny, sobbing baby cradled in your arms with gentle words and whispers. It worked about as well as the last times Penny’s screaming had begun. Too warm, too cold, too dark, too sunny. Babies, as you had learned, were tricky. Tricky to keep happy. You had opted to sit on the windowsill, rocking her back and forth as you watched cars go by. She’d looked so peaceful there, breathing lightly, her eyes shut.kipo

It had been the blaring sound of your ringtone, wreaking havoc on the 4-month-olds ears that spoiled the quiet moment. Arms full, you shifted the screaming child into one arm, lifting your phone to your ear with the other.

“Hello?” With some difficulty, you managed to answer, pressing your phone to your ear with your shoulder. Like magic, the baby’s screams dissipated on cue with the ringtone.
“Deputy Y/L/N?” A heavy sigh left your lips. You’d recognise that strange voice anywhere.

“Connor? What- What do you want?” Had you told him you were on break today? No, and even then you doubted he’d understand the need for it. Even if he was now deviant, the human lifestyle was one he was still learning about.

“We’ve been assigned a case.” Shocker. You doubted he’d call you for any other reason. Rolling your eyes you adjusting your sitting position, listening as he continued on.

“I was told to collect you and Hank, however, you were not home.” Yep. You were aware of that. Blinking a few times you gave another sigh.

“No, no I’m at a friends.” You explained, leaning against the window. You could hardly up and leave for some murder, theft whatever now. Especially-

“With… an infant?” Like he was reading your mind, Connor spoke, sending you into a mode of total alertness.

“How did-” Your head snapped up and you whipped around, eyes locking onto the window. More specifically, the figure outside the window, on the sidewalk, with a phone to his ear. He raised his hand in greeting.

“Connor! How the- How?!” Why was also a good question. In fact, you had many questions. And if Connor wanted to leave with his body intact, he was going to answer them.

“When you did not answer, I called your friend to ask about your whereabouts, and she said to come here.” Okay. So he hadn’t stalked you, technically. Was that even a thing he understood? Christ, you were going to have to have a long talk with him.

“How do you know- You know what? No. I don’t care. Just- come to the door.” How they knew each other was a conversation for another day. The important thing was stopping him from standing outside, looking like a creep for any second longer.

Pushing yourself up, baby still in your arms you walked, sighing as your phone fell from your shoulder to the floor. Connor had already ended the call, so fuck it. You’d pick it up later. Reaching the door you moved the gurgling baby to one arm, undoing the lock before pulling it open, only to find Connor standing still and ready at the door.