Alone (Connor x Reader)

All you wanted was a peaceful morning tea. A quiet morning tea. Where you could drink some coffee, eat a muffin and relax in the breakroom. You’d just finished with an investigation and were ready for the break which you felt you so honestly deserved. Of course, fate wasn’t about to let it be that way.

When Gavin and his friend had walked in you’d barely noticed him. Running on no sleep after staying up all night reading his idiot comments in the case report had left you in a bad mood, and you wanted nothing more than to keep your distance from the slimy excuse for a person. He’d opted for one side of the breakroom, and he’d opted for the other. That was fine by your book. The less time you had to spend staring at his stupid face was time well spent.

It looked like Gavin was set on wasting everyone’s time this morning.

You hadn’t really paid attention to the android when it walked in, too busy trying to substitute what warmth your drink was giving you in turn of the bed you wished you were curled up in. You’d heard about him. He was Connor, he was working with Hank, he wasn’t your problem.

Gavin seemed hellbent on changing that.

“Get me a coffee.” Was the first thing you registered, turning just in time to see his fingers prod against Connor’s chest. You could’ve sworn you’d seen him flinch, a twitch of the lips, but when you blink his face is expressionless again. You really were too tired for this.

“Gavin!” You shout from your table, drawing the attention of all 3 people in the room. You didn’t want to start a conflict, but you were not about to let Gavin ruin anything else today. Pursuing your lips, fueled by the anger from his shitty report, you spoke in a voice soaked with irritation.

“You’re like 38 years old. Do you not know how to make one yourself?” Gavin most certainly was not that old, and you most certainly knew that. And while that normally would have been enough incitement for him to change targets, he seemed intent on bullying one android today.

“Stay out of this,” He spits as he speaks and it’s disgusting, you can feel your stomach feeling as he pokes another finger to Connors’ chest, with more force this time.

“You- get me a fucking coffee,” Gavin says with all the charisma of a dead, bloated fish. You’re stepping up from your chair, ready to snap at him when Connor brushes down his shirt, holding the detective in a cold, dismissive stare.

“I’m sorry, I only take orders from Lieutenant Anderson.” He says in a voice that’s nearly smug. You can’t help but smile, you didn’t know androids could be programmed like this. And evidently, neither did Gavin as his lips curled into a snarl, a bitter laugh leaving his lips.

“Oh? Is that right?” You’re ready for Gavin to make some dumb quip, but not ready for what happens next. His fingers curl into a fist, and before you can shout a warning to Connor, he’d fired off his first and only punch, bringing the android to his knees.

The sound is more sickening to you than when a human is punched. A thud of a fist on plastic, and a whirr of motors that put your hairs on end. Especially in tandem with the way he was clutching his stomach. Maybe it was the fact that you knew he could not fight back that made you so ill.

He couldn’t fight back.

But you could.

“Asshole!” The scream that left you was raw, made of unbridled anger as you launched yourself forward, your feet moving a threaten pace across the hard floor of the kitchen. There’s a flash of fear in Gavin’s eyes as you grab the collar of his shirt.

“I told you to-” Your hands plant themselves on his chest, shoving him backwards violently, into a pillar. His friend, still in their seat seemed unsure of whether to flee. Your venom filled voice seemed to solidify that decision.