Chapter 1

I wake up to the sound of my best friend pounding on my front door, so I get up and put some clothes on. I put on a grey shirt and black sweatshirt over it, dark blue jeans and black undergarments. I walk down the stairs and look out the window, seeing something dart behind one of the trees in my yard. I ignore it and walk to the front door, opening it and seeing my best friend, Jamie, standing there.

"Come on, we're going to be late," he says, me shaking my head.

"I'm taking off today. It's my birthday, remember," I say, him already in his car.

"Bye," he says, driving off. 

I shrug and close the door, walking into the kitchen, deciding on making pancakes for me and my brother who's coming over for the day. Hopefully. Flights from Germany to America aren't that good and can be cancelled easily.

As I pour some batter into the buttered pan, I get a call. My brother.

"Daniel, what's up," I ask.

"My flight's cancelled. Actually, all of the american flights are cancelled. I'm sorry," he says. 

I thank him anyway and hang up, putting my phone in my pocket and flipping the pancakes. I added caramel extract to the batter, just like how my dad would make it. I put the finished pancakes on a plate and repeat the action again until the batter is made into pancakes.

--little time skip--

I end up eating about a third of the pancakes and I leave the rest on the counter, walking into the living room and sitting by the bookshelf. I pick out a book and open it, reading its contents.

I hear something moving in the kitchen and footsteps, so I put the book down and stand, grabbing my sport knife that's beside me. I walk to the doorway and peek in, seeing a bunch of men huddling around the pancakes. 

I spot one with a long nose mask, and he starts jerking it off. He turns my way and I turn my head, him spotting me. He flips me off as he jerks off his nose faster and I raise my knife, him stopping. He turns to the other men and bumps one with his elbow, whispering something to him and glancing at me. 

I cross my arms and lean on the doorway, the knife under my arms. I cross my ankles and observe them, another turning to me. He has on a multi-colored mask with staples, scars and stitches all over it, the jaw ripped off and sewn back on.

Soon, they all turn to me and stare at me, making me wonder if they're lost. But they're grown-ass men. What I didn't expect was one of them runs to me, making me raise my knife to chest height. They stop and take my knife, running back and stabbing every other guy in the side of the head, killing himself after.

"What the fuck," I whisper, the bodies and blood, black blood, disappears into mist, floating out the open window. My knife lays on the ground, the blade clean. I walk over and pick up the knife, blinking hard a few times and setting the knife gently on the kitchen counter, shaking my head.

"I need to lay off the doughnuts," I say, walking back into the living room and sitting in my chair. I cross my legs and pick up the book, keeping on reading.

---time skip---

I read about half of the book, sighing and standing to do something productive. I walk into the kitchen and spot one of the guys I saw earlier standing at the front door, the bottom part of his mask hanging on one of the hinges. His mouth's open, showing his teeth and tongue, a slight bit of saliva dripping off of his tongue and onto the floor. To be honest, he scared me at the moment.

"Aren't you dead," I ask, backing up and hitting the wall with my back. 

I slide down to the floor and the weird demon person drops to his hands and feet, his knees not touching the floor but close to. He then crawls to me, reaching me and getting close to my face. He's in a very weird position, with his hands on either sides of my hips, squeezing between my knees and getting inches away from my face. 

His saliva drops onto my shirt, leaving no mark oddly. And as if I knew he was going to do this, he disappears into mist, leaving out the open window. I stay there for a few seconds, comprehending on what that thing was. It certainly wasn't a human, and it wasn't an animal.

"It's okay, I'm okay," I say to myself, standing and walking to the door.

I grab my coat since it's winter and slip it on, it being an old army coat with wings on the back, made from the person who wore it before me. I step outside and walk around back, where there's about 3 acres of woods after my house, an open space for deer and a few apple trees that make huge, red apples the size of my open hand.

I put my head down and watch my feet trudge through the snow, watching the snow fall onto my shoes. I walk into something tall, which made me fall back into the snow. I look up and there's a man with sleek black hair, muscles upon muscles and a silver mask covering his face. The only thing I could see was his piercing blue eyes staring into my grey ones.

'Oh fuck,' I think. I might die in my own backyard.