Chapter 8

"Where are you," he says in a sing-song voice, the other two running to him and looking with him. 

I stand up on the branch and jump over them to another tree, urging Joey to do it too. He shakily stands and puts his arms out, jumping. I catch him and set him next to me, pointing to the thick woods. We jump across to the tick woods, now being able to step from branch to branch. I see the edge and jump off, rolling into the snow. It was about 30 feet down, but the snow took most pain away.

"Come on, we have to go," I say, Joey clinging onto the tree and shaking his head. I hold out my arms and take a few steps forward, waving him to jump. He does and I catch him, setting him on his feet and turning to the sound of footsteps.

"Damn it," I say under my breath, seeing Corey stopping at the tree line; about a foot away from me.

"You're smart, but not smart enough," he says, grabbing my coat and pulling me to him. 

Before he could get his knife, I kick him where it hurts and run with Joey to the house. I run to the front yard and see another part of the woods, taking my chances and running into it. Joey says nothing and runs with me, weaving through the branches like before. 

I get a foot in and jump up, climbing to the tree's top. Joey climbs with me and I look above the trees, seeing something on the second tree in front of me. It's Sid, perched like me, and he's copying everything I do. I wave to him and he waves at the same time, the exact movements as me.

"Joey," I start, him standing next to me on the branch.

"Why is Sid doing this," I ask, him looking at Sid and his eyes widening.

"He's clung onto you. This is good in your case because he won't let you die or be killed," Joey says, me testing it and stepping off the branch. I fall and before I hit the ground, Sid catches me in his arms bridal style. Joey, instead of climbing down, teleports to us in the grey-black mist.

"Glad I wasn't wrong," Joey says, Sid not letting me go.

"You can put me down now," I say, Sid not letting go and teleporting to the backyard. Joey does too and Sid drops me, walking a few steps away and waiting for something. Before I could get up, Corey leans over my view and smiles.

"Thank you Sid," Corey says, Sid looking down and nodding like he's ashamed he brought me here. But he had no choice. Joey runs to me but Clown holds him back, Joey struggling but giving up after a few minutes. Corey steps over me and sits on my stomach, holding his knife at the ready.

"I have to hand it to you, you know how to put up a fight," Corey says, tears coming to my eyes as he puts the blade on my neck.

"But not that good of a fight. You still lost," he says. 

He presses the blade and it breaks my skin, the side of my neck bleeding. It was only a few drops, but enough to turn the snow red. I blink back tears and I look at Sid, who's taking a few steps to me, but being stopped by Chris. He holds Sid back and he puts up no fight, looking down to the snow. 

Without hesitation, Corey slowly drags the blade across my neck, it shallow enough to not cut my artery. But it makes me bleed a lot, and convinces Corey that I'm dying. He stands and walks to the house, turning to me. He raises the blade and licks my blood off of one side, grinning. The other guys leave with him and let go of Sid and Joey, both of them holding my neck to try to stop the bleeding.

"Get the farmer," I say, my voice barely there.

"Who," Sid asks, Joey standing and teleporting to get her. Sid puts both of his hands over the cut and shakes his head, muttering something under his breath.

"Why did I do that? I knew he was going to hurt you, but I didn't think he was going to kill you," he says. I raise my hand and put it on his arm, smiling.

"I'm not going to die, Sid," I say, making him shake his head.

"He cut your throat. No one can survive that," he says, Joey coming back with the farmer. 

She looks confused on how she got here, but when she saw me and the blood all over Joey's hands, Sid's hands and the snow, she drops to her knees and looks at my neck. She asks Sid to take his hands off, but he doesn't and keeps holding my neck.

"Sid, take your hands off," I say. 

He takes his hands off and he farmer looks at my neck, Joey sitting next to her and passing her a needle and thread. She sterilizes it and ties the thread, pinching the skin on my neck. I close my eyes and let her sew it up, it only taking a few minutes.

She finishes it and wraps my neck in bandages, taking the blood snow and tossing it in the bucket of blood snow from earlier. After she gets teleported back to her farm, Joey and Sid both help me to my feet and hug me. But not after wiping their hands on their shirts because they're wearing black.

Sid picks me up bridal style and teleports into my house, setting me on the couch where I sat before. Joey walks in a few minutes later and they sit on either side of me, my neck feeling sore. I close my eyes and lean my head on Sid's shoulder, and he wraps an arm around my shoulders as if to protect me.