Chapter 7

Mick, Jim and Craig couldn't get through it, but the rest of them could. They chase both of us and I take a sharp turn left, dodging tree branches and jumping a stump in the snow. Joey runs with me and Corey splits the others up, Sid, Paul and Corey going straight while Clown and Chris chase us.

"They're relentless," I say, not stopping and looking up to the trees. 

I see barbed wire and jump it, Joey jumping it with me and keeping my pace. Chris jumps it, but Clown gets caught like how I did and stays there, tending to the wound. I hear Chris' footsteps get closer, so I speed up and turn again. Joey speeds up and stays with me, Chris tripping on a root and face planting in the snow.

"Time to go up," I suggest, stopping and pointing up. Joey climbs up with me and we look down, seeing Chris running past and running into Corey. They collide and fall back, both of them pointing to each other and getting confused faces.

"You lost them didn't you," Corey says, Chis saying he tripped and fell back.

Both of them stand and start running back the way we came, following our footprints. We take a few minutes to rest and catch our breath, sitting on the branch we climbed to and looking down. We get our breathing right and I jump down, dropping into the snow on my feet. I look up to Joey and he drops too, landing on his feet.

"Which way," I ask, Joey pointing  to the right. I look over and we're right by the thick part, so we weave through and stop in the middle, looking around. Just when I think we're safe, an arm wraps around my waist and the cold blade of a knife presses against my neck.

"Well fuck," I say, Joey turning.

"You will be converted," Corey says, Joey taking steps to us. 

"Take another step and she dies," Corey says, Joey stopping and putting his hands up at head height.

"Why do you want to do this," I ask, Corey looking at me.

"I'd be the first," he says simply.

I bring my hands up and tug the knife away, taking it and plunging it into a tree beside me. The blade digs halfway into the tree, making it almost impossible to get it out. Corey lunges at me and tackles me to the ground, sitting on my stomach and choking me. His hands were extremely cold and they compressed on my neck like how a cobra would.

Joey tackles him off of me and he punches him endlessly, Corey struggling to get the upper hand. There's snow flying up, and the sounds of struggling echoing through the woods, it going silent after a minute. I hear the panting of Joey, who's looking down at Corey, unconscious in the snow. I stand and walk to Joey, putting a hand on his shoulder. He whips his head to me and calms down when he sees it's me.

"We should go," I say, him looking back at Corey. There's blood slowly dripping out of his mask, a nosebleed. The blood's rolling from his nose, some going into his mouth while most is staining the snow.

"Yeah. We should," he says, leaving with me. As if it couldn't get worse, two of the guys pick both of us up, Chis picking me up bridal style and Clown throwing Joey over his shoulder, and walking back out. Chris sets me on my feet and Clown pushes Joey off, making him fall off into the snow.

"Where's Corey," Clown asks, crouching in front of Joey.

"He's where he fucking should be," Joey spits, standing and glancing at me. I put my hands on my guns and take them out, putting them at my sides.

"And where is that," he asks, standing up.

"I won't tell you," Joey says, crossing his arms. 

He takes a step back and Chris grabs his neck with one hand, lifting him off the ground a few inches. He starts to be choked, clawing at his hand. I point a gun at Chris and he glances at it, stiffening.

"Put him down," I say, Chris flipping me off. I push the barrel against his head and he sets Joey on his feet, dropping his hand.

"Back away," I say, him backing away. He gets to the other guys and I drop my hand to my side, looking back to Joey. He's catching his breath and has a hand on his neck, but is fine.

"Where is Corey," Clown asks me.

"He's in a cold, dark place," I simply say, staring at him.

"His heart," Joey asks, making me smile.

"Not as cold and dark," I say, making him do a half smile.

"Cut the crap. Where is he," Mick asks, towering over me.

"I told you already," I say, looking up at him and smiling.

"This is no time for riddles! Both of you are coming with us," Chris says, grabbing my hair and pulling me with. Joey basically gets kicked along, while Chris hints at caring that I don't get hurt that much.

"Give me that," Clown says, taking one of my guns and grabbing Joey around the neck, pointing the gun to his head.

"Where is he," Clown asks, Joey grabbing Clown's arm and looking at me with fear.

"Okay, I'll tell you. He's in the thick woods just about 10 feet over there," I say, pointing the opposite way. 

Clown lets go of Joey and tucks the gun in his waistband, running past me. I snatch my gun back and we both run out to the barbed wire, stopping before it and looking back.

"Why did you do that? They'll kill you," Joey asks, making me smile.

"There are so many bear traps over there. And roots, stumps, stones; just a lot of things that'll get you hurt," I say, bunny hopping over the fence and climbing a tree. Joey follows and we sit on a branch, hearing the snow crunch under us. I look down and there's Corey, looking around for someone or something.