Chapter 4- Bryson

I watched as the Pit laid down and looked at the female, Margaret. I had no idea how my nephew would react, but I whistled anyway, signaling the children to come. I was surprised when the Pit tried to come to me but laid back down when she pushed him down.

The rest of the dogs in the truck were restless and whined, trying to get out. They didn't jump out, but they were looking at me as if I was going to give them something.

Margaret turned to look at them and scowled. "Settle," she said, moving her hand to signal them. She waited until they stopped trying to get out and turned to look at me with an apologetic smile. "I am sorry about that," she said, catching me taking a step back. "I taught them to come to me when I whistle. They sometimes like to wander off and harass the chickens that lived at the farm."

I was about to answer, but three childlike laughter filled the air before I could. I turned towards the noise to see my two nephews and niece run over to us but stopped at the sight of Donovan.

"Uncle Bryson? Why is that dog here?" my niece, Fiona, asked. She frowned and watched the dog, not paying attention to the female that was kneeling beside him.

"It's because I brought him," Margaret said, her voice soft. She was smiling at the three of them when I turned around to see her. Her hand was on Donovan's head, and she was scratching him behind the ear, and there was a look of joy on his face.

"Why? Who are you?" Fiona asked, walking over to me. She scowled and folded her arms across her chest. "Why don't you leave? We don't need your kind here."

Margaret cocked her head, amusement filling her eyes. "My kind?" she asked, and my niece nodded. She nodded and hummed. "Do you think that I do illegal stuff because I have a Pit?"

"Yes," she said. "Mean people have dangerous breeds," she said informatively. "Pit Bulls are dangerous breeds."

"Protective of your brother, I see," she mused. "Are you the oldest?"

"Ya."

"Ex-cuse me?" my mother asked, walking out of the house with her brother and daughter. She scowled at her, and she instantly looked down. "What was that?"

Fiona sighed and turned to look back at Margaret. "Yes, Ma'am," she said. "I am the oldest."

"Maggie is the oldest between her and me," the brother said. He walked over to his sister with his niece trailing behind, holding his hand. "Maybell," he warned when Maybell let go of his hand and ran towards them.

Maybell ignored him and flung herself on the Pit. "Dono," she said, hugging him. "I have missed you." She giggled when he licked her face. "Eew, poop breath." She wrinkled her nose and moved her face away, and the dog whined and tried to lick it again.

"Maggie?" Fiona asked. Recognition filled her eyes as she looked at her. "As in Maggie, or Margaret, Prince?"

Margaret nodded. "The very same," she said. She smiled and cocked her head, studying my niece. "And, not all people who own Pits are bad. Just like not all Pits are bad. Some of them, like Donovan, had been given a bad reputation because of what others had done, what they were trained to do."

"Dono isn't bad at all," the brother, Travis, said. He walked over to them and pushed Donovan onto his back to scratch his belly.

Donovan let him do it and groaned. He lay stretched out and shook his back leg while they found a good spot. His tongue was out of his mouth, and he looked like he was smiling.

"He'll kill you with kisses," Maybell said, scratching the dog. She smiled at them, excitement filling their eyes. "You can pet him too if you want. He loves meeting new people."

"Ok," one of my nephews, Peter, said. He walked over to the family but stopped to look back at me. "Can I pet the dog?"

I hesitated but nodded. I wanted to say no. I really wanted to say no, but I didn't. "Go ahead," I said. I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet. "You may pet him."