100 degrees (or 40 if you're not American)

Start from the beginning

"No problem." Wilbur didn't open his eyes. He just moved his arm to be around Tommy's shoulders again and gave a slight squeeze.

"They beat me up."

What.

Wilbur shot open his eyes and looked down at Tommy. "Who?"

Tommy stared out at the desert. "The last guys who asked me to show some ballet I had learned. They beat me up."

Wilbur didn't know how to respond. How long ago was that? Wasn't he 11 or 12 when he quit?

"T-they um, they did other fucked up shit. Called me names. And one time-"

Tommy froze. He just stopped talking like he hadn't realized what he was saying. Then that one time must have been really bad. Oh no, Tommy... what happened? How could anyone hurt you like that?

Wilbur hugged him, burying his face in the crook of Tommy's neck. "Whatever they did, I am never letting that happen to you again. You're safe with us, you always will be. Always."

Tommy hugged Wilbur back, hard. He clung to his brother like his life depended on it. Wilbur could only hope he actually felt safe.

Tommy did. He really did.

——————

"Can I not?"

Tommy was looking at the bag of chips Wilbur had brought him. After catching up, Philza had laid down in the backseat for a nap and Techno had joined the other two, who were talking. Wilbur was trying to get Tommy to eat the chips, or anything, for some energy. He had nearly passed out and really needed some sustenance.

Tommy didn't wanna.

Wilbur huffed, blowing his hair away from his face. Please Tommy, it's literally a mandatory function. You have to eat. It seemed like the kid was constantly wavering between being willing to get better and not caring about anything but weight.

Wilbur was really out of his depth with this.

Techno cleared his throat slightly. "Bruh, you seem like you don't have the strength to stand- THAT'S NOT A CHALLENGE- so you gotta eat somethin."

Tommy slumped back down, having tried to stand. The three were in a triangle on the ground, with Tommy against the front of the car, and snacks in the center of them.

The child leaned his head back and dramatically groaned. "I know what you're thinking, but I'm all good now."

Really? Wilbur may not have experience with eating disorders, but he was pretty sure the twig in front of him didn't get that way without some serious problems. Problems that don't go away so easy.

"I don't think that's how it works. Right Techno?" The brunette looked over at the somber American. He seemed to really be in a funk.

Techno sighed slightly and leaned forward. He put his head in his palm as he faced Tommy. "One bag of chips? You choose that flavor, so you gotta like them. We know you're not just magically better."

Tommy pursed his lips. "I don't- I've already put on weight. I know it. That makes me all better, yeah? Yeah."

Wilbur nudged the bag to Tommy. "No. And frankly you still look dangerously skinny."
Techno shot him a concerned glance as he interjected with a, "Not helpful."

Wilbur didn't really understand the comment. He wasn't certain how to help, but if Tommy had a problem with seeing himself correctly, then telling him how he really looked was helpful, right? Techno was giving him a look he couldn't quite place. Something between begging and a glare.