Pay the Piper

Imogen took a deep breath and pushed the door to the Town Hall. She expected everyone to immediately look at her, but apparently there was something happening that was even more exciting than her shared lunch with John Thomas Alistair Oakby. Mrs. Harris sat at her desk, pretending to read something on the screen, while idly scrolling empty pages with her mouse. If she had ears like a cat, they'd be perked up and turned towards the Mayor's office. The usual visitors - here simply to chinwag and hunt for gossip - were all silent, their faces attentive. Imogen walked in, listening as well.

"You don't understand!" a hysterical female voice rang behind the Mayor's door that was open a crack. "You simply can't imagine what it feels like when your most treasured possessions are taken away from you!"

Imogen gave Mrs. Harris a questioning look.

"Ms. Skinner," Mrs. Harris mouthed.

"I assure I understand–" the Mayor tried to insert in a comforting tone.

"Snatched! Without any consideration for my feelings!" the woman's voice was getting shrilly. "It's like losing long time friends! Like– losing a child!"

"Ms. Skinner," the Mayor tried again.

"You just don't understand! You don't!"

There was some loud thud, as if something fell down, and Ms. Skinner made a few loud sobbing noises.

"Like losing a child!" she hollered, and Imogen cringed.

That was surely overly dramatic. To think of it, such behaviour was the least efficient way to communicate with the Mayor. He simply couldn't stand any sort of drama and the unreasonable demonstration of unstable mental states. 

"Ms. Skinner, may I remind you, I have children," the Mayor's baritone boomed.

That was when everyone looked at Imogen, who immediately blushed furiously.

"And as much as I commiserate your misfortune, we're talking about your - insured - worldly possessions," the man said firmly.

Clearly, the Mayor's patience had run out. Imogen didn't blame him. She didn't envy Ms. Skinner either: the man could be just as intimidating as his Father, and unlike in the interactions with Mr. Oakby Snr, one couldn't call the Mayor's swift and sure judgement unfair.

"I will personally look into the police efforts in the investigation of your case," he added, softening the tone. "I assure you, it is in good hands."

"Oh don't be ridiculous," Ms. Skinner scoffed, partially regaining her aplomb. "Your mistress has solved more murders these days than they managed in last ten years! Maybe I should ask her to–"

"Ms. Fox is my common-law partner," the Mayor once again raised his voice - just a tinge - but just enough for everyone except for Imogen to press their heads into their shoulders. "Thank you for meeting up with me, Ms. Skinner. I won't delay you any longer."

Imogen almost started applauding. That's how one got shot of an annoying person with style and grace!

The door to the Mayor's office opened sharply, and Ms. Skinner stormed out of it in a cloud of white tulle, sickeningly sweet perfume, and disdain. She didn't deem anyone worthy of her attention and rushed out so quickly that Imogen had to jump aside, letting her pass. She saw Ms. Skinner climb into a cab waiting outside.

"Ms. Fox," the Mayor addressed her politely, and Imogen spun on one spot. "My office, please?"

"Right, yes, sir. I'm– I'm coming," she mumbled, and the Mayor's left eyebrow jumped up.