Off I go

It was after school that I found myself standing by the edge of the cliff looking down at the crystal-clear waters that flowed below me. Its pale blue waters looked calm and welcoming on the hot summer's day. A perfect day for a swim. So, I slowly took off my clothes but left my tight shorts I wear under my tracksuit bottoms on and my vest too.

I took out my bauble and let my curly-brown hair fall down my back. I took off my glasses and put my sports goggles on. At first, I debated if I should go in – the school wouldn't want me back late and soaking wet, but I didn't care – they would surely understand if I told them everything. I mean how could I not do it. I turned my head and my twin, Asheanna was sitting there holding her phone – wanting to video me. Not that I knew why until I remembered what I was doing here in the first place:

I was doing it all as dare – my friends had said that I wasn't brave, but I said that I was. They said that I had to jump off the highest cliff in the mountains and into the sea. I agreed thinking that I could just tell them and not have to have proof but no they said I had to have my twin film it on her phone to show to them. I still agreed because I was no wimp, I could do it.

I looked back at the water that went off into the distance and didn't seem to end and closed my eyes. I took deep breaths to calm myself down – if you jump into water scared then you could die of lack of oxygen. I put my arms above my head and bent my knees... then I jumped into the water below.

It felt powerful jumping into the ocean. It feels like breaking a barrier that was thought to be unbreakable – but nothing is unbreakable. It did hurt a little bit but that pain soon passed and I could really feel what it was like. The water was welcoming on my face and I felt glad that I said that I would do it. I had to make sure to thank them.

My skin was getting a massage by the water. My eyes were getting an adventure by the fish that passed by. It was amazing and nothing could go wrong – I mean the conditions were perfect. The water was calm. The sun was shining. It was at the right level that when I dived so I couldn't hurt myself, but it was easy to come back up for air. The temperature was fine for my body – it was like nature made it for me.

I had spent enough time under and then I broke the waves – lifting my head I looked up at the sky. I then looked at Asheanna – who was smiling at the fact that I was okay. I waved up at the camera. I was proud of myself for what I did. Told them I wasn't a wimp. Then I noticed a problem – I didn't know how I was supposed to get back up. I wasn't the best at climbing, and everyone knew that.

I wanted to show them that anything is possible if you , so I swam over to the cliff face and started climbing up it. Occasionally I would turn around while climbing up and look at the view – all while Asheanna filmed it. It was all going well until it wasn't. Disaster struck when my hand slipped on the cliff face. The rock was too smooth, and my hands were too wet. As soon as Asheanna noticed she turned off the video and knelt down for my hand.

It was too far. She couldn't reach. I looked up at her, sorry for what was about to happen. I pushed both of my hands and my body of the cliff face and fell backwards. "Atchaco what are you doing!" Asheanna screamed at me. I could tell she was crying because her voice was horse and worried. I looked up at her and whispered that I was sorry before I slammed into the waves.

The sea didn't feel as calm now. It felt threatening and dangerous which it always should have been. I don't know how long passed when I realised, I was running out of air. I tried to lift my head to get that much needed oxygen into my lungs, but it was too heavy.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming towards me. A man, I think. I lifted my head slightly, but the image was distorted for I was under the waves that he was walking in. The man must have realised that I was still alive because he started to jog over me – he must be a doctor – he would have run otherwise.

He knelt down in front of my face and he was concerned yet he looked so happy like he was proud of something.

"Atchaco." He said. His voice was soothing. "Don't worry. We are going to get you out of here." I smiled at him before I was swallowed by the darkness that had been trying to get me ever since I hit the water for a second time.

I couldn't register much after that. Just the claiming swing of helicopter blades and then the annoying seriens. The people screaming and planicing. The soft noise and the annoying sensation. The pain and the electricity. Not much else. Crying, a lot of crying. The reassuring voices saying everything will be alright.

Then I floated in endless blackness.

Until it was no longer dark.

It was bright and heavenly.