Chapter Eight: Treading On Forbidden Territory

Start from the beginning

"Hello?"" 

"Hey, April." I immediately recognized Carmen's high pitched voice even if she had a sore throat. "What's up?" 

"Nothing much. Hey, I'm driving so I will call you back when I reach school." 

"Can't you just put me on speakerphone?" 

"Nope, I never use my phone while I'm driving. I will call you back in about ten minutes." 

"Okay. Later." The call ended before I had the chance to say bye. 

I shook my head as I pulled the car out of park and continued the route to school. 

As I pulled into the parking lot, I called Carmen back, as promised. 

"What's up?" Carmen said as she picked up the phone on the third ring. 

"Nothing, just pulled up to school." I placed the phone between my shoulder and my ear as I slung my bag over my shulder and pulled the key out of the ignition. 

"Cool. Sucks I have to stay home for the next three weeks." 

"Yeah, but on the bright side, you get to stay home." 

"I guess. So are you ready for the competition later today?" 

"Nervous is more like it." 

"Don't worry, you'll do great. Sadly, I won't be able to come and watch you guys." 

"Why not?" 

"My ankle is being stupid." 

"Ah." I made my way over to a bench and placed my bag down as I leaned back. "Don't worry, everything will be fine." 

"I know. Oh and tell Dominic hi for me. He hasn't been picking up my calls lately." 

"Sure, no problem." 

"Okay, later." 

"Bye." 

As I hung up the phone, I looked up and saw him approaching me. 

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. 

"Hey, April." Dominic said as he sat down next to me." 

"Hey, Dominic. What's up?" 

"Nothing. Your posse isn't here today?" He asked, referring to Carmen, Monique, and Jessica. 

"They're not my posse, they're Carmen's posse. And no, you should know that I don't have any friends at this school." 

"That's not true, you got me." 

I let out a short laugh before turning to him. "And just how long ago was it that you started talking to me, Dominic?" 

His silence spoke volumes as I pulled out my notebook to study for a quiz later today. 

"Okay, yeah, since you changed your look, I started to pay more attention to you. But that's because you were so drawn back and vulnerable before." 

I scoffed as I began to read, deciding not to respond to him. I liked playing this game. 

"C'mon, April." He bent his head over my book and looked in my face. Literally. 

The close proximity of my lips to his made my stomach flip. 

"Get off my book, Samuels." 

"Then be nice to me." He said with a mock smile. 

I rolled my eyes. "If you're looking for someone to flirt with, you can call Carmen. She has been trying to reach you for the past few days anyway."