Chapter Twelve: Fakin'

WARNING: SHORT CHAPTER! JUST A FILLER!

April's POV

After about fifteen minutes of being outside, I dried my eyes and stood up, looking down at Dominic.

"Let's go back inside."

"Are you sure?" He asked, standing up. "We can go home if you want."

"No, I'm okay. Just had to get away from the party for a while. Let's go back inside. It's almost midnight anyway. And I don't want to miss it."

Carmen's POV

I sipped my drink as I surveyed the crowd. From afar, I saw Dominic and April come in through the back door. I took another sip before, saying, "She doesn't deserve to be here."

"Then why did you invite her?" Monique asked.

"I don't know. The angel in me won the mental debate."

"So how do you feel about your ex-boyfriend dating the girl that took your place as head cheerleader and queen bee?"

"She did not take my place!" I snapped. "She just substituted for me. When I go back to school next week, all will be normal."

"Okay." Monique said in a doubtful tone.

I took another sip before Monique said, "Who do you plan on kissing at midnight?"

"Dominic."

She coughed on her drink. "You can't do that, Carmen."

"Why not?"

She rolled her eyes. "You know exactly why. He is not your boyfriend anymore!"

"Who are you raising your voice at?" I said with a glare.

She kissed her teeth as she looked away and drank her alcohol. I looked up at the clock. Two more minutes.

I tapped the DJ and gave him the "cut it" signal.

He nodded as he scratched the track before cutting it off completely.

The crowds of teenagers ended their conversations and looked at the DJ where the music was coming from.

"How y'all feeling tonight?" He yelled over the microphone. Shouts and yells rose from the crowd as solo cups rose in the air.

"Well, we have two minutes left until midnight so find your partner and have some fun."

I watched as people scrambled to find a person to kiss and suddenly felt left out that I didn't have anyone to kiss tonight. I looked to my right and saw that even Monique and her boyfriend, Chris, were together. I sat back in silence and watched the pairs of couples look at the monitor expectantly. Thirty more seconds.

Twenty-five more seconds.

As soon as it reached ten seconds, the crowd began to chant.

"Ten!"

"Nine!"

"Eight!"

"Seven!"

"Six!"

"Five!"

"Four!"

"Three!"

"Two!"

"One!"

The monitor displayed fireworks with the words "Happy New Years!" in huge multi-color letters. I looked around and looked at the couples locking lips until my eyes fell on Dominic.