thirty eight - surprise

Start from the beginning

"good morning!" an energetic voice came through the other end.

"choi beomgyu, you better have an excellent reason for waking me up at five in the morning while we're on holiday."

"i have a whole essay prepared!" he chirped, "open the door please, we're all outside!"

surprise replaced irritation as she got out of bed and looked out the windows, praying that this was just another one of beomgyu's pranks.

sure enough, five figures who were very clearly her friends stood outside the gates. in a corner, there was a dark blob that minyoung, for the life of her, could not make out.

trying not to wake her parents as she rushed past their room, she hurriedly made her way to the gates.

"what the hell are you all up to now?" she hissed as she shivered a little in the morning cold.

"lets talk in your room, we're freezing!" taehyun pushed past her and immediately made his way into the house.

"bring your own stuff!" soobin yelled after him, but taehyun had either not heard the former or was ignoring him.

minyoung had a strong feeling it was the second.

"you take it, you came up with this." soobin pushed taehyun's suitcase towards beomgyu, who was already struggling with his own.

"what? no way! i-"

the rest of the group ignored him and passed through the gates, letting themselves into the house. minyoung's helper had gotten up too, but did not seem in the least bit surprised as she ushered them into the house.

"well?" beomgyu tapped his foot, folding his arms as he did so, "aren't you going to offer your assistance?"

"why would i? you guys turned up at my house uninvited! there is no way i'm lugging that heavy thing anywhere for you!"

"rock, paper, scissors then."

-

mumbling curses out loud, minyoung dragged both taehyun and beomgyu's luggage to the house as the latter walked next to her relaxedly.

"thanks for the help, best friend." he made a big show of smelling the obviously fake flowers that her mother had carelessly stuck into the garden.

"our friendship ended the moment you threw out a 'rock' after seeing that i had thrown 'scissors' when you originally played 'paper'."

"pictures or it didn't happen."

when the both of them finally reached the front door, minyoung walked in to find that her friends were all now in the kitchen. they all looked up when she walked in, grinning as they did so.

"whenever you guys are done eating all the food in the kitchen," she began, eyeing the already empty plates that they had set aside as they moved on to seconds, "why are you moving in all of a sudden?"

at this, hueningkai let out a laugh.

"nothing like a little morning to joke to start off the day, right taehyun?"

taehyun laughed nervously when he realised that she was wearing a look of genuine confusion.

"oh boy, did none of you tell her?" this came from seulgi, who had set down her spoon.

"we agreed that we would surprise her, didn't we?" soobin looked at her.

"no! beomgyu told me he had already informed her when i asked him on thursday!"

"oops."

the kitchen was silent for a moment, until the 'ting!' of the toaster was heard. this snapped minyoung out of her thoughts, and she rubbed her fingers on her temples as she tried to process whatever was happening.

"well, clearly someone did not tell me. care to tell me now?"

"are you ready for it?" beomgyu asked excitedly.

"after today morning's surprise, anytime."

"we're going to visit yeonjun!"

"what?"

they slid an envelope across the counter, and minyoung took it wordlessly. sure enough, there were ticket inside that would bring them all to wherever yeonjun was.

she looked up and was met with five (well, six including her helper) pairs of eyes staring back at her expectantly, waiting for a reaction.

she blinked. she blinked again, and again.

"if you cry i'm throwing you out of the house." taehyun said.

she took a deep breath and wiped off any tears that were threatening to fall with the back of her hand.

"thank you."

"great, now get to packing!"

+if i dont finish this by the end of the year i would actually be speechless - two years and i'm still not done