Chapter 25 - All's Fair

Začít od začátku

I nodded understandingly as I swallowed another sip of the drink. "That must've been really hard to confess to each other."

"Oh, yeah. Peach was crying really hard. And every time I tried to reassure her that I felt the same way, she'd cry harder," Charlie let out a soft laugh. "She has a really big heart."

"Yeah, that's what I love about her." I swirled the cup over the bar, watching the fragments of mint twirl around the ice. A brief yell and then hushed scolding came from the pool. I turned on my stool, and Charlie followed my gaze to where Giselle and Lucas were sat along the edge of the water fixture. "Wonder what that's about." I raised the mojito to my lips and let the alcohol smooth over my tongue.

"It probably has something to do with Lucas being in love with Polly," Charlie said. I gasped, sending part of my drink into my trachea. He rounded the bar as I began coughing. "Jesus, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I whimpered. I bent over and coughed the liquid out of my lungs. "I thought they were friends? Polly said they agreed to be friends!"

Charlie scratched the side of his head. "Yeah, that breakup was not mutual. Lucas is definitely still hung up on her. I'm sure he hasn't told Giselle that, but she's smart. She's probably picked up on it. And that tweet during the challenge, that America wanted him and Polly to have another shot, is probably causing a rift."

"That's true," I nodded. "He's still caught up on her, though? Does he at least like Giselle?"

"Um... I guess? At the very start, he could tell Polly wasn't totally into him, so he was hanging out with Giselle a bit. He liked her, but I don't think anyone will catch his eye like Polly has."

I spun in my seat to face him. "You're coupled up with Polly now, how's that going? I remember she had a major crush on you on day one."

"It's going okay. No major sparks. She's really nice, though."

"Ah, yes. The infamous 'she's nice, though,'" I teased him. "I know exactly what that means."

"Not everything means something," Charlie attempted to defend himself. "I can be into a girl and call her nice!"

"Yeah, but the difference is you don't just call her nice. And you don't follow it with the word 'though.' It's science."

Charlie smiled wide enough to reveal a single dimple in his cheek. "My apologies, Dr. Maddie. I see you're well-researched in this area of study."

"Damn right, I am." I finished my drink and came around the bar to put my glass in the sink.

"I'll get it," he swiped it from my hand before I could process his words.

"Oh, thanks," I said and looked around the garden. "I'm going to go find Peach and make sure she's alright."

Charlie nodded and waved me off. "See ya around."

I wandered around the garden and found Peach sitting on a pink bean bag, picking at her nail polish. She looked up as I approached and sat up in her seat.

"Where's Gray?" I asked as I plopped down beside her on a blue bean bag.

"He ran in to grab me water," she said. She reached out and grabbed my hand. "How was your chat with Charlie?"

"It was good. I came over here to make sure you were okay after that tweet. And just remind you that you're beautiful. And America doesn't see the pain that that situation put you in." I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Thank you." Peach smiled and released my hand, letting her fingers drop down onto the turf. "I need this day to be over. Or lowkey. I wouldn't be mad if I napped now, woke up for dinner, and then fell asleep until tomorrow."