The Eagles

Bilbo hated flying.
He decided that as he sat, shivering, atop the rock eyries of the eagles, arms wrapped around himself to conserve heat, alone. It was almost pitch dark, now, the stars starting to shine out faintly. And where was the rest of the company? Probably eaten or frozen to death, if they hadn't fallen off the rocks first. He shivered and scooted further back from the edge, only to be buffeted by great gusts of wind as one of the eagles swooped down above him, talons bared. Bilbo sighed in dread.
"Couldn't we just walk?" he shouted as the bird swept down and plucked him off the rocks. He sighed again and gripped the eagle's leg as it carried him off to who knows where. Probably to eat him.
But it was only a moment later when he felt himself being lowered down back onto solid ground, and the eagle's talons opened, causing him to tumble gently onto the rock. For a moment he just lay there, relieved to feel solid ground beneath himself again, before a friendly shout caused him to sit up abruptly.
"There's our burglar!"
Looking around, Bilbo spotted the other dwarves, ringed around a small fire sputtering in the strong wind. He scrambled to his feet and hurried over, glad for the familiar faces.
"We were wondering where you lit off to," Bofur laughed, elbowing Gandalf, "pun intended!" The other dwarves laughed, despite the cold air nipping at their noses and the noticeable lack of anything to eat. They were in a merry mood, Bilbo thought, shoving his hands in his pockets and grinning. He looked around the circle—everyone was here: Dori, Ori, Nori, Oin, Gloin, Bofur, Bifur, Bombur, Fili, Kili, Dwalin, Balin, and Thorin—why did his heart leap like that?
"Bilbo!" Gandalf said, moving aside and motioning towards the space in the circle beside him. Bilbo walked around to the seat, carefully keeping his eyes down, for he could feel Thorin's gaze upon him, a gentle smile on his face. Clearing his throat, Bilbo sat down next to Gandalf and arranged his coat on his knees, looking up and listening to the chatter of the other dwarves.
"I apologize for the time it took for you to join us," Gandalf said good-naturedly, leaning towards him. "The eagles have their own schedule. I couldn't talk them into bringing you any sooner."
"Oh, it was no trouble, I'm sure," Bilbo said quickly, looking up at the wizard. Thorin was still watching him...
"Hm, yes, well," he said, giving Bilbo another sideways glance. "I think we have had enough excitement for today, and now that everyone is here, we may as well get some rest."
"I completely agree," Bilbo said sincerely, and Gandalf turned towards the other dwarves, his firm voice cutting through the chatter.
"Now that we are all in one place at the same time with no immediate threat of danger, I think we should all get some sleep while the night is still upon us, or we shall talk the dark away like those trolls!"
"Hear, hear," Kili agreed sleepily, already wrapped in his blanket. With a rustle of movement, the others started to turn towards their packs, but before they could move too much, Thorin spoke.
"Before we...settle down for the night, I have something to say," Thorin said strongly, staring around the circle, then turning towards Bilbo. "I wanted to say that I have been...unfair towards you lately. I have made no secret of my disdain for you and your—abilities, and I thought that you would never keep up with us, or survive for long in this wilderness." He paused for breath, everyone in the circle quiet and attentive, the fire crackling lowly. "And I thought I was right. Earlier today, I thought I knew I was right. But I was wrong," he stated finally, "and you coming back today...that was admirable. I thank you for it, and I apologize for how I acted before."
Balin nodded in agreement. "Hear, hear." Murmurs of assent echoed around.
"Master Baggins has been quite the surprise," Dori said kindly.
"He stayed with us even when he could have turned back," Dwalin rumbled, "Honorable."
"And just wait until we get to the mountain!" Fili said excitedly, "All fifteen of us, to get at the gold and the dragon!"
"With Master Burglar Bilbo Baggins leading the company," Ori added.
Gandalf chuckled good-naturedly. "I dare say you would have thought yourself this far along, Bilbo," he said, leaning down, his eyes sparkling. Bilbo grinned, fiddling with the edge of his coat, nervous from the praise.
"I can say for sure that I had never thought myself in any situation near to this," he replied with a smile, then turned back to the circle. "And you all applaud me, but it was a simple decision, really. I had signed a contract and come this far. I can't return to my home just yet, and I know how important having a place like that can be." He paused, then continued, tilting his head. "And you all have none, so I am going to help you get yours back. Your home, that is," he finished rather awkwardly, "and I am with you as long as it takes."
This elicited a round of applause from the dwarves, even Thorin placing his hands together, a smile touching his face. Bilbo grinned and ducked his head. Gandalf smiled proudly; he always knew that the hobbit had it in him.
"Well, we're off to bed," Fili sighed, looking fondly at Kili, who had fallen asleep on his shoulder. "It's been a long day."
"That it has," Balin consented, rising. "Good night, lads, Bilbo, Thorin," he said, bowing to each of them, then turning towards his pack. The others did the same, yawning and stretching, the rustle of fabric and low voices comforting in the dark night.
"If you don't mind, I think I'm going to stay up for a moment longer," Bilbo said softly, the fire sputtering lower.
"Of course," Gandalf said kindly, setting his hat aside. "Good night, dear Bilbo."
"Good night, Gandalf," Bilbo replied, smiling, then pointedly turned away from the circle, still avoiding looking at Thorin. Sighing, he stepped a few feet away to the edge of the rock, crossing his legs under himself and pulling his coat over his knees. He just needed a little time to himself, and with the comforting presence and sounds of the dwarves at his back, as well as Gandalf, he could think without worrying.
Sighing again, he folded his hands in his lap and looked out across the forest that stretched out before him, dimly illuminated by the light of the thousands of stars overhead. He gazed upwards, picking out the familiar Plough constellation, his mind wandering back to the Shire, where the harvest would be in, the fields glowing golden, bushels of rosy apples sold in the bustling market, cold air and crisp leaves on walks, the first glittering frosts of winter. He thought of all those content hobbits slumbering warmly in their beds, and longingly of his own empty one at home, his quilts piled on top, the comforting weight pressing on top of him, the warmth of a fire filling the room...
A gust of cold wind startled him back to reality, the stone hard and cold beneath him. How much he would have given to have just one of those quilts now. He sat quietly, tucking his hands under his chin and listening the the rustling as the others snuggled into their blankets. Gradually, the fire died, blown out by the breeze, and the shuffling of fabric stopped, breathing slowing and light snores beginning. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps echoed close by him, and he glanced aside to see Thorin stepping up beside him. Immediately, his heart rate quickened and he folded his hands carefully in his lap again as Thorin sat down beside him. Oh, goodness, their legs were almost touching....
"Beautiful tonight," Thorin said roughly, looking out across the darkness.
"Oh, mm, yes, very beautiful," Bilbo stammered, caught off guard. He looked away.
"I meant what I said, there, in front of the others," Thorin said, his low voice seeming small in the dark.
"I know," Bilbo replied.
"I didn't want you to think that I apologized just to save face in front of them," Thorin clarified, glancing down. "I do my best to be honest."
"And you've lived up to that," Bilbo said, looking over at him, "Even when you voiced your opinions of me you were honest. You spoke what you thought and what you believed, and I find that admirable." Thorin smiled, but Bilbo continued. "They all will follow you anywhere, you know," he said seriously, "into fire, into water, into the mountains, and into Mirkwood. We're behind you the whole way."
"We?" Thorin asked, looking curiously at him.
"We," he repeated, staring clearly back. For a moment he seemed to lose himself in Thorin's dark eyes, starlight reflected back, clear and deep. To his surprise, Thorin sighed heavily and pressed his face into his hands.
"Sometimes I just—this has been so hard for me," Thorin said finally, "I doubt myself every day, and I try to hold true to our goal, but..." he trailed off. "The road is difficult, indeed."
"It is, but you shouldn't doubt yourself. You are strong, Thorin, and honest, and brave, and you know what is right." Bilbo looked at him again. "You will make a wonderful king."
"Thank you, Bilbo," Thorin said sincerely. "I need all the encouragement I can get." He was silent. "And your opinion of me matters more than you could know."
Bilbo's heart thumped in his chest. More than he could know...
"I think I know how much," he answered quietly, "as much as your opinion of me matters to myself." He heard Thorin draw a quick breath. They sat, silent, dwelling on the other's words, breath, and figure in the faint starlight, minds quieting slowly.
Bilbo continued to gaze through the night, setting his hands beside him. It was not until he glanced down that he realized how close their hands were—mere inches apart. He steadied his breathing, deciding not to move his hand, for then Thorin would definitely know something was going on, but as he looked up, he found Thorin staring at him. Bilbo felt his cheeks burn crimson and they both turned quickly away.
It was silent, the cold wind breezing gently by, the movement of the dwarves stilled by the deepness of sleep, the stars shining down soundlessly. Bilbo willed his breathing to slow, but his heart still pounded in his chest. That was close—they were so close—
Before another thought crossed his mind, something touched Bilbo's hand, sending shocks zipping through his arm, and he looked back at Thorin, who still stared straight ahead. But glancing down, Bilbo saw Thorin's pinkie linked around his own, the soft press of his finger gentle in his own. His breath caught in his chest and he stared out again. This was nice, having Thorin there, the simple touch washing his fears away, his pounding heart slowing.
It was so quiet.
Bilbo realized that Thorin was holding his breath. He was probably scared of Bilbo pulling away, rebuking him, leaving him alone in the night. That would not happen. Carefully, Bilbo slid his hand over Thorin's, their fingers intertwining slowly, fitting together smoothly, Thorin's warmth welcome to Bilbo's cold fingers. Scared to do much more, they slowly relaxed, dangling their legs over the rock, staring out across the darkened world, the breeze ruffling their hair, hands intertwined.
And in the dark, Gandalf watched them, his gaze lingering on them, his eyes crinkling in a smile as he noticed their held hands. Smiling to himself, he turned over to give them privacy, closing his eyes.
It was a long time before either of them moved. The heavens rotated around them, slumber slowly pressing down on their eyelids, stars bright above. Bilbo sighed contentedly.
"Tired?" Thorin asked quietly, and Bilbo nodded, rubbing at his eyes with the heel of his hand.
"Yes, terribly," he answered, then swung his legs around, groaning as he stood, his joints creaking from sitting so long. Thorin rose with him, their hands still locked. Bilbo pulled his away, then looked up at Thorin, his eyes meeting Thorin's dark ones. "Good night," he said softly.
Thorin smiled. "Good night." Bilbo smiled back, feeling the color creep into his cheeks again, and turned away to find his bedroll. Remembering he had lost it, he suddenly turned, embarrassed, back to Thorin.
"Thorin—I, uh, seem to have lost my things, do you have, a uh, spare that I could borrow?"
Thorin smiled again, rather awkwardly. "I have your things, and I took the liberty of laying out your bedroll." He motioned sheepishly to the two empty blankets next to each other. "I hope you don't mind."
"Not at all!" Bilbo assured him, and immediately fell into his own with a sigh. Thorin slid into his, and its was not long before they were both fast asleep, despite the frost, despite the lack of dinner, despite the cold wind that blew over them, despite the heaviness of the quest hanging over them, blankets wrapped tightly around themselves, backs pressed together, minds lingering on the touch of the other's fingers.