Gaiden 25: A Chick's Birthday

I woke up early like I usually did every birthday since I turned three

I woke up early like I usually did every birthday since I turned three. If we weren't in the palace I would've ran around the place and yelled that it was birthday. Doing that here might've gotten us kicked out though, so I avoided doing so.

Bet that my siblings would like sleeping in today. Especially Shi. Big brother loved sleeping. It was basically a pastime for him. I glanced at his bed and saw that he was gone.

"Shi?" I said, walking over to his bed. I squatted and peered under the bed to see if he had decided to sleep there. No one was under the bed, just some luggage.

Did he managed to wake up before me? I smiled. Maybe he was making me a cake or something.

I ran over to the door. I had to jump in order to open it. I would've flown, but flying in place was still hard for me. If I tried flying while moving the knob, I probably would've crashed against the door.

I gasped as soon as I managed to open it. Takeshi and Selena stood outside.

"Shi? Sel? Everything okay?" I asked, tilting my head at them. Had Shi finished my cake? Or was something else going on?

"Yeah," Sel said, picking me up. "Say, want to go to the card shop today? You seem interested in meeting that rude girl again."

Wonder if she felt better about her loss... A week had passed since her match with Kaoru in the park.

"I do?" I asked.

Shi laughed. "You sound like Rocio."

"I resent that!" Rocio said, popping out of Selena's hoodie. She was in her rat form.

"You're all coming with me?" I asked with a hopeful smile.

"Yup! Well, except for our parents. They're plan-" Selena said before suddenly cutting herself off.

"Their plan? What plan?"

"I didn't say that. I. uh, I meant to say that they plan to go somewhere together, just the two of them."

I smiled. "I see." I bet that they are planning my birthday party.

"Wait, isn't the card shop closed at this time?" Cio said.

"Oh, right," I said, lowering my head.

"That's fine. We still need to eat breakfast," Shi said. "We can't go out on an empty stomach, else we'll regret it later."

Sel nodded.

"Then let's go. I have something waiting for us downstairs!"

Sel and Shi rushed down the stairs. We would've flown, but we were in the palace. Doing so could've been considered rude to the monarchy. Besides, it didn't take us long to arrive.

"Oh, hey!" Azami said. He was eating waffles with berry drizzle.

"What are you doing?" Selena asked.

"Eating." He chuckled. "Thought that was obvious."