10- A Thump and a Crack

⚠️TW : CHILD ABUSE⚠️
[[ I do NOT own the art or music. Please enjoy this chapter - L RANDY ]]

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

[[by lownine on Twitter]]

The group walked around for a short while before a very quiet Leven rejoined them, and (Y/N) noticed he refused to look at her.
Her heart twitched at the thought of hurting his feelings, but Ivo and Leo kept her preoccupied with discussing the different merchandise at the tables with her.
This side of Oldkeep was a lot tamer than the exotic goods area, and (Y/N) was enjoying herself other than the incident with Leven.
Every so often one would break off the pack and look at stalls that interested him, but one was always with (Y/N) who just seemed to enjoy just looking.
(Y/N) stood with Kazumi who was investigating at a weapons stall, it was covered by a dark curtain but was lighted by lanterns.
She did not know where the others had run off too, but she was content in looking at the fine designs on the hilts of the swords as Kazumi looked at daggers.
If she was being honest, Kazumi made her the most nervous, as he was a man of little words, and she had never seen him smile. But there was also a comforting aura to him, and she did not feel in danger with him, rather very protected.

"Yes, sir, we will have it delivered by the end of the day." (Y/N) heard the clerk finish as they accepted a few gold pieces from Kazumi, his fierce sun-like eyes glanced down at her and she felt trapped in his gaze.
Kazumi appeared to have a way to make anyone feel small and insignificant with just a glimpse.
"We should head back now," He said, turning to walk away from the stall, he held the curtain open for her to walk through, (Y/N) nodded and kept close to him.
They found the others waiting by a light pole in the middle of the town square. Leven still was not looking at (Y/N) and that only made her chest hurt more.
"We are ready to head back," Ivo smiled at Kazumi, and Kazumi nodded in response. As they began their journey back Leopoldo walked by (Y/N).
"Are you sure you don't want anything, dear? It is your first time in Oldkeep, a souvenir would nice in your 'cell'." Leo joked, and though the others did not speak or looked back their ears perked with anticipation if she had any requests.
"Thank you, but I am sure. Being here with you all is a good enough gift for me." She smiled up at the white-haired man.
She is adorable. He thought, smiling back, and accepting her answer.
Her attention was quickly caught by harsh yelling and it made her slow her pace looking around for the commotion.

"You little thief!" A guttural voice boomed, making (Y/N) jump and her stomach twist.
"I ought to chop your fucking hands clean off your wrists!" She looked around frantically, then she spotted the source.
A large, overweight man, standing above a small boy, hitting him with what looked to be a club-like weapon. They were a good distance down on the opposite side of the street, but the man's voice carried through the air like the sound of cannons.
(Y/N) gasped when she saw the man swing the wooden weapon down on the boy's back. She was even more shocked as no one even stopped to help the child; they were all going about their business.
The child looked to be bleeding from his lip and already had bruises forming on his arms and face. She instinctively reached out for the closet pirate, grabbing the side of Leopoldo's shirt. He stopped and looked back at her, he followed her horrified look to the scene unfolding.
"Don't stare, dear. That's very rude." He chuckled trying to make light of the situation.
The others had stopped to see what was wrong as well.
"But- but that man," (Y/N) looked concernedly up to the pirates.
"It is a common occurrence in Taycia," Ivo spoke up. "Thieves are beaten in the street like that all the time, no matter the age. In fact, they are often kids, as their parents are doing their best to survive in Taycia working long hours in the mines and sweatshops."
"Come on, don't look at something like that." Leopoldo urged her to continue on.
She took a few steps trying to ignore the situation.
"YOU," She heard the man yell with another hit to the boy's body making a disgusting thump!
"USELESS," Thump!
"FUCKING RAT!" Thump!

(Y/N) could not take it anymore; her heart was thundering in her chest and she felt she could vomit.
That boy, he is my citizen, I am supposed to be protecting him!
She whipped around on her heel, and she sprinted as fast as her legs could carry her.
The pirates did not immediately notice that she had run off until Leopoldo turned to comfort her, and she was already gone.
(Y/N) was drowning out the calls of her friends, as the only thing she could hear was the deafening beat of her heart.
She easily made her way through obstacles, hurdling over a cart and launching herself over a stall.
She was athletic when it came down to running, the only game she could ever beat Silas at was Tag.
(Y/N)'s entire focus was on the boy and the man's arm drawing back to land another blow.
I have to get to him! I have to protect him!
The closer she got she clearly saw the black eye, the bloody nose, the busted lips, and tears started to brim in her eyes.
She was closing in on them, their image becoming larger as she approached, the large man was yelling at the boy, but (Y/N) was not paying attention to his words.
The four pirates were trying to catch up, but she was quick, and because they were not in immediate danger their demonic speed was not present, the constant flow of carts and people only slowed them down more.
Everything seemed to move in slow motion, (Y/N) reached the boy and engulfed him in a hug at the same moment the man swung again, the stick came down with unforgiving force and a haunting sound filled the streets.

Crack!