34- Within Reach

[[ I do NOT own the art or music. Please enjoy this chapter.

I am so sorry for the late update- the latest AN in the OC version of this story labeled 'fear not' explains what I've going through. It's hard to do both but I started it so I'm going to finish it. I hope you still have an interest in this little old story, and I hope you enjoy this update. I'm going to get tested for COVID now but I'll update later - L RANDY ]]

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

The Possessed the pirates captured were handed over to Hadan, who only managed to retrieve two Possessed.

The green-haired woman who always watched (Y/N)  closely, Chusi, caught four with her squadron.

By the time the sun went down (Y/N) 's left shoulder and thigh were bruised and cut up from her sliding down the mountain, but Ivo carefully tended to the wounds.

"Perhaps I should have chosen garments that covered more skin." He commented as he disinfected the scrapes.

(Y/N)  only brushed it off with a giggle, assuring that it did not even hurt, though she was lying.

Kazumi informed the girl that night they would be leaving Bizia in the morning and heading north for more soldiers, and she could almost squeal in excitement.
Solely because she was leaving the place where she was always looking over her shoulder. (Y/N)  was somewhat nervous about going north because she has never experienced cold weather before, and did not know what to expect.

With (Y/N)  secured safely in her room, bandaged up and fed, the pirates were getting ready to leave the inn to get supplies for the ship.
(Y/N)  was exhausted, drained by the day, and politely requested to stay at the Inn while they went out.

"We cannot let anything like today repeat itself," Leopoldo stated, braiding his white hair into a single pleat.

"Obviously, Idiot." Leven scoffed.

"I loath to think of it, but if that stranger was not in the woods to save our little dove, she very well would have been killed." Ivo changed his shirt to a billowy green top.

"As Leopoldo said, we will not let it happen again." Kazumi crossed his arms. "If we are in any way close to danger one of us will always have to stick by her, no matter what." His golden eyes shifted to Leven for a split second, as Leven was the one to leave her behind.

Leven locked his eyes on the floor, ashamed.

I did not sense any demons close by... I did not think that idiot would be in mortal danger. He defended himself silently.

"Then it is decided here and now," Leopoldo tied his braid off. "We will never let her out our sight for even a moment on the outside."

The four nodded in agreement and left the hotel room.

"Should we get her something while in town?" Ivo mused as they walked down the hall.

"Like what? She never wants anything." Leven shoved his hands into his light gray trouser pockets.

"Something to remember her trip to Bizia?" Leopoldo suggested.

"I think she will remember it well enough." Ivo laughed softly.

They were all quiet for a second, thinking of what the mysterious girl would like. It was true, (Y/N)  never expressed any interest in anything specific, and thinking of what she would appreciate proved to be a task.

"Anything coming to mind for you, captain?" Ivo patted his friend's shoulder as they were about to reach the stairs.

Kazumi hesitated.
"Flowers..." He replied. "... She always stops for a moment to look at flowers."

The other three were slightly taken aback by his response, almost a bit ashamed they did not notice something like what Kazumi had.

"Maybe we could get her a flow—" Leven began earnestly but was quickly cut off when his shoulder rammed into something, causing him to stumble a step back.

"Hey! Watch it!" He snapped, adjusting his high neck tank top.

A brunette male, wearing wire-framed glasses, cut his eyes to the young man.

"I should say the same to you, you insolent child." He spoke warningly as he continued up the stairs.

"Wha—" Leven gasped. "CHILD?!"

Leven practically roared at the man's fleeting backside. Leven moved to follow after the stoic man, but Leopoldo placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Now, now, little brother." Leopoldo chuckled. "Please do not kill everyone who strikes a chord with you. You would drown in all the blood." Leopoldo chuckled.

"Yes, Levy, I do not wish to wait around for you to beat on a simple human," Ivo added with a smile, heading down the stairs.

Leven grumbled something under his breath and returned to climbing down the stairs.

Silas brushed his shoulder off with the back of his hand with disgust as he made it to the top of the staircase.
Filthy peasants, this whole dreaded kingdom is crawling with them.
Silas grimaced to himself.
My princess would never exchange with the likes of such scum.

(Y/N)  stood on her balcony, watching the pirates walk in the distance with a soft smile. She watched Leopoldo ruffle Leven's hair and watched Leven slap his hand away.
She watched Ivo throw his arm around an unmoving Kazumi who kept his arms crossed, picturing the blank face of the captain.

I truly do love them all... does that make me a selfish woman? I would think it does. Especially with these feelings swirling in me towards Momo... and being in love with Silas since I was a child... I am so confused! She bit the tip of her thumbnail lightly as she leaned on her railing. Everyone is so kind, so sweet, and trying their best... It is so hard to tell what is love and what is 'in love'. I cannot possibly be in love with all of them... but...

Frustrated she stood up and stretched her tired back.

I need to stop thinking about silly things! We have a big day tomorrow, and I need to think about the future of Taycia... not childish girly thoughts of love.

(Y/N)  spun her heel to return to her bedroom for the evening.

As Silas stepped out onto his balcony, he heard footsteps from the neighboring room, glancing over just quickly enough to see a short (H/C) ponytail disappearing into the room, and the balcony doors shut.
He let out a deep exhale, exhausted himself.
He spent his entire day interrogating the citizens in the area, under the guise his fiancée had gone missing. He did not want anyone in Bizia to know he was a Taycian official looking for a felon, as they would close their doors to him right away and possibly help her escape him further.

"Princess, where are you?" He asked the stars, a single shinning tear sliding down his cheek.