¹⁵ The Mind Flayer

Start from the beginning

Max glanced at the taller girl, "Mews? Who's Mew's?"

"It's Dustin's cat." Steve shrugged.

"Steve!" Dustin scolded the boy as Imogen grumbled.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas yelled.

"No!" Dustin exclaimed, his eyes wide as Lucas rose his brows, waiting for an explanation. "No...I...no...He missed me. And he wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" Dustin tried to defend himself.

"That didn't stop you from trying to get rid of him when I literally told you he was from the upside-down!" Imogen exclaimed, but shut up when Dustin sent her a warning look.

"Oh so now you admit it?" Lucas glared at Dustin.

Max interrupted with an impatient expression, "Guys, who cares? We have to go."

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas continued to shout.

Imogen scrunched her face in confusion, locking eyes with her brother who just shrugged with a lost look on his face too.

"SO DID YOU!" Dustin screamed back, Imogen flinched back at the loud sound.

"How!?"

You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin flashed his light in Max's face, Imogen shoving the boy's hand away and slapping the boy's head.

"Stranger!?" Max scoffed, taking a step closer to the boys.

"You wanted to tell her too!" Lucas' voice raised volumes making Imogen look around nervously.

"C-can we not do this right now?" She asked, her voice shaky as her eyes scanned the woods in front of her as she heard screeching in the distance.

"But I didn't, Lucas, okay?"

Imogen swallowed, her eyes trailing towards Steve who started walking off towards the sound she heard, "S-steve?"

Max glanced at the girl beside her as Lucas and Dustin continued shouting before the redhead's eyes followed Imogen's.

"Guys?" Steve called out, before shouting when he couldn't get their attention. "GUYS!"

Lucas and Dustin turn quickly towards the older boy, their hearts stopping when they hear the screeching getting louder.

Steve was first, walking into the dark woods only his small flashlight lighting his way. Lucas and Dustin were next, not even hesitating to walk in the dark.

"Um...guys! Why are you walking towards the sound?!" Max shouted after the boys, not getting an answer. "Hello? ...shit!"

Max grabbed Imogen's hand when she saw the teen didn't move before dragging her into the woods and hurried after the group of boys.

A pit was in her chest and stomach as Imogen and the group stopped in a grass clearing that overlooked the town, her hand was still in Max's hold--though Max tried to let go, Imogen just held tighter onto it.

The screeching grew louder and more dreadful with every step, the group looking over the town as fog covered it, small lights from houses and businesses still open.

"I don't see them," Dustin stated.

"You sure can fucking hear them," Imogen grumbled, finally snatching her hand from Max's hold to grab onto her necklace.

"It's the lab." Lucas said after using his binoculars, "They were going back home."

"What to have a nice family meal? What the fuck!?" Imogen exhaled, before turning and leading the group the way towards the lab.