Chapter Forty One

Start from the beginning

Why is no one getting any closer?

"Thomas, this doesn't feel right." Jorge yelled to the boy, and Florence was beginning to feel the same.

She had a bad feeling about the wall and the eerie quiet from the other side of it. She had a bad feeling about the fact they were a hundred feet away from it. She had a bad feeling about everything.

Her eyes drew from the wall to the signs closer to them, that read 'Deadly Force Authorised Beyond This Point'. She suddenly felt a lot safer at the distance she was.

That's why no one's getting closer.

"Hey, guys," Newt sounded panicked as he reached the three of them along with Frypan and Brenda. He placed his arm around Thomas' shoulder and glanced back in the crowds. "We gotta go now. Look."

Following Newt's focus, Florence found the masked guards from the car pushing their way through the crowds in an attempt to reach them. She felt her stomach drop.

Why are they going after us?

Before they could retreat back into the crowds in a bid to escape, a metallic creaking sounded from the wall behind them. Everyone silenced; Florence could guess nothing like this had ever happened before.

They all froze, eyes focused on the walls, waiting to see what was going to happen. It was all still; just for a moment.

And then, an electronic whirring seemed to startle the crowds, and it only took a second for everything to descend into chaos. Florence spotted what scared everyone, and came to realise it was for good reason.

They were going to start firing at the rioters; firing bombs.

Screams and shouts of fear rang through the girl's ears but she found herself frozen to the spot in shock as she continued to stare up at the stone wall. Everyone began to disperse - including the masked guards - desperate to get away from the walls and the inevitable line of fire ready to be directed at them.

"Florence, let's go!" Jorge yelled out, the girl in turn realising everyone else had sprung into action.

And then the first bomb hit.

It wasn't close to them, but close enough to make the ground tremble beneath their feet and send shock waves through their bodies. But there was no moment after it hit where they could gain relief.

Because WCKD had fired another. And then another. And another.

Alongside her friends, Florence began sprinting back towards the broken ruins of the train station, yearning for an escape from the line of fire. Every time her feet hit the ground, taking her further away from the walls, the bombs only hit closer and closer.

Not that she could see from where she was, but people behind her - slower, innocent runners - were being thrown into the air and onto the ground; dead. They were being slaughtered ruthlessly by WCKD, and for what reason? How was this helping them get a cure?

The bombs were now hitting all around them, the group narrowly avoiding running into the death traps practically tracing their every move. As they reached the back of the train station, Frypan swerved away from the straight path they were taking and headed towards an door-less doorway that stretched into an alleyway.

"Come on! Get in! Get in!" He called for the rest of them desperately.

"Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" 

Jorge's fearful tone would always be engrained in Florence's mind, she decided. And it was a good thing if she was truly honest, since nothing was more motivating than his usual nonchalant tone suddenly sounding quite frightened.