Chapter Forty

The sky began to lighten, and Florence leant her head against the car window as they drove across the open landscape. She was sat in the back, besides Newt, as Frypan drove and Thomas held the map open next to him to check the directions.

A sign, reading 'Mandatory Infection Check: 2 Miles Ahead' somehow went unnoticed by them all, but if it hadn't, it would have clearly been a red flag for the road ahead.

They reached an abandoned settlement; a moss covered brick building and a car park with wrecked cars sat behind barbed wire fence. And this time, the 'Mandatory Infection Check' signs were spotted by the Gladers.

Although, there was nothing they could do now.

Frypan slowed as they approached a tunnel that dug into the mountain looming over them. Stopping, it gave them the chance to hop out and inspect the dark tunnel they were about to go through.

"You want us to go in there?" Newt asked Thomas, stopping a few feet away from the entrance to it. Thomas looked down at the map again, but he - and everyone else - knew that there was no way around it.

"I don't wanna come across as too negative, but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be."

Florence stopped beside him, trying to glimpse into the tunnel by squinting her eyes. "Well, are you a Crank, Newt?"

"I said if-"

Before Florence and Newt had the chance to begin bickering, Thomas swiftly cut them both off. "-I don't think we have much of a choice."

"All right. I get shotgun." Newt said, making back towards the car. Florence scoffed, trailing after him with her hands folded across her chest.

"I'm the only one who hasn't gone shotgun yet." She tried to argue, but Newt had reached the car door already.

"Well, you should've called it." He grinned, winking cheekily.

Rolling her eyes sulkily, Florence climbed back into the back of the car beside her brother. Leaning forwards on the back of Newt's seat, she exhaled in attempt to calm her nerves as Frypan slowly rolled the car forwards.

"Well, here we go."

As they advanced further, they caught sight of a few abandoned cars - some of which were turned onto its sides or backs. Newt's hand rested on the side of his window, holding a torch out for them all to see the road ahead better.

"Yeah, just take it nice and slow." He advised, nerves evident in his voice.

Frypan expertly weaved his way around the cars, as if he'd been driving for years, but was forced to come to a stop as Newt's hand came to rest on his arm. "Whoa, whoa, whoa." The panic became increasingly more clear in his voice, and Frypan pulled on the brakes, coming to a halt.

Just ahead, was a Crank. They were stood still, arms swaying slightly, in the middle of the road. Florence felt her breath catch in her throat, and with the others, found herself looking to Thomas for guidance.

"It's okay. It's just one, so take it slow, go around them. We'll be fine." He told Frypan, whose eyes were wide in panic.

"Take it slow." He repeated, turning back to the wheel and squeezing his grip on it. "Take it slow."

Before they began driving again, Florence nudged Newt's arm, nodding to the window. "Wind it up." Just as he did, and as Frypan prepared himself to drive again, Thomas jumped in his seat, nearly landing on Florence.

"Jesus, Thomas-"

Looking to him, she cut herself off with a squeal at the Crank stood at his window, staring in at them. She was a woman; with straggly blonde hair, pale skin, and almost fearful eyes. She hadn't turned completely yet. Florence's chest was heaving with anxious breaths and she kept a tight grip on Thomas to make sure he wouldn't jump again.