Chapter Five

Florence felt something tap her shoulder.

She raised her hand and brushed whatever it was away, and rolled over to continue sleeping. Her eyes were heavy with tiredness.

Another tap.

This time, she opened her eyes and found Newt crouched beside her. He was tilting his head to look at her, grinning down in amusement.

"What's going on?" She kept as quiet as possible, knowing Minho would still be asleep, and her confusion and exhaustion also prevented her from going louder than a whisper.

"I gotta show you something Greenbean." She let out a groan, hoping that Newt would take the hint that she didn't want to get up.

"Florence, you need to see this." His change of tone scared the girl, and she decided to co-operate, slipping out from her sleeping bag quietly and tiptoeing across the room.

Glancing back, she saw that Minho was still fast asleep.

Newt was limping across the Glade as quickly as he could, and it became clear to Florence that he wanted to show her whatever it was before anyone else woke up.

He was heading straight for one of the Maze's walls, and Florence was beginning to feel dread building up inside her.

"What's going on Newt?" She hissed to the boy, who she had caught up to almost immediately.

"It's easier if you let me just show you this, okay? I was supposed to do this before the tour, yesterday, but I thought you were a little too shaken up."

He was walking alongside the wall now, but stopped suddenly. Florence stopped herself bumping into the boy as he reached out to a patch of ivy on the wall and dug his hands through it.

Parting it, the ivy seemed to have been covering a dusty square window, which was almost blacked out entirely. Florence still didn't understand what was going on, but remained silent.

"Wait for a moment. Something'll happen." He murmured quietly, his eyes fixed on the window. She stood by his side, studying his face, and then turned to the window herself which remained black.

It stayed like this for a few minutes, Florence becoming impatient, but Newt staying completely still just waiting.

Suddenly a glow of light appeared in the window, lighting the view through it. She inched closer to the window slightly, peering through to make out what she already knew was on the other side.

A Griever.

An enormous blob of a creature was crawling up the corridor of the Maze they were staring into. It had mechanical legs sticking out from it, giant metal weapons that were cutting into the ground as it scuttled along the floor.

If a snail and a spider had a baby, and then it got mutated and weaponised, it would look like this.

It began to climb a wall and then without warning, launched itself at the window. Florence couldn't help but jump back, a small yell of surprise escaping her mouth.

But her curiosity grew, and she reminded herself they were safe in here. She crept back towards the window, aware of Newt's eyes on her as she watched the Griever.

The creature couldn't possibly have been natural, Florence realised, as she noticed the instruments that were sticking out from the animal-like, robotic-like arms; shears, a saw blade, long rods.

Its body seemed slimy and gooey, Florence feeling sick as she continued to watch it. It knew they were both watching in fact, as it shrieked and clawed at the window, wanting to make its way to them.