What did she mean by "a few months"?

I hear my grandma sigh from besides me. "W-what was she talking about?" I asked, my voice breaking in the end. "Amelia, honey I didn't mean to hide this from you for so long. It's just that I didn't want to hurt you or bring more sorrows to you, you have already been through so much honey. You don't deserve all this. You deserve so much better!" She says in a soft voice. "Can you just get to the point?" I ask. "I have cancer, I have had it for two years. On my daily visit to the hospital last week the doctor told me I have a few months left. My body is no longer strong enough to fight this, I tried honey. Oh I tried so hard to be strong for you! But I-I can't anymore" she said. And the moment she said that it felt like my heart had been stabbed into pieces. She was the only person I had. No, God why me? What had I done to deserve this.

"Honey please don't cry." I hear grandma say. I didn't even realise I was crying. I wipe the tears with the back of my hand and finally look at my grandma who had tears on her own wrinkled cheeks. "Why didn't you tell me before?" I asked, trying to keep my voice strong. "I thought I would get better, I didn't want to force more stuff on you! I wanted to get better for you." She said as another tear rolled down her cheek. I take a calming breath. It's fine Amelia. Calm down. I have to remain strong. "You can't change a person's or your fate, you have to learn to accept it. Every human that comes to earth, ends one day. The day they end their purpose is over. When god thinks they accomplished their goal. They will have a new purpose in heaven or as another person" My grandpa's wise words echo in my head. The words he used to tell me everyday, to get me prepared for his death, so that I won't mourn over his death like grandma did. He knew he would end someday, he taught me to be prepared for it. I have to be prepared for this too.

"Okay" I whisper. "Okay?" My grandma asks, confused. I nod, "I understand. I can't change fate. I learn to accept it. So I accept this too" I say more to myself. "Oh honey you're so strong. Your grandpa would be so proud of you right now." My grandma says hugging me. I hug her back, tight really tight. I just have a few months with her and I will make the most of it.

I don't know what will happen after she is gone. My mom would probably kick me out the house or send me to a shelter or something. But I couldn't care less. All I care about is my grandma and my last few months with her.

That night I didn't eat, I don't have it in me to eat. Instead,I walk all the way to my grandpa's grave. The wind was cold, too cold for my liking. My jacket was too thin to protect me from the wind. I shiver as I make my way to the graveyard. I push open the rusty gates and look at the security on the side who is fast asleep and wrapped in a warm blanket. I start making my way to the back where my grandpa lies. The graveyard's lights flicker on top of me. I finally reach his grave and I kneel down brushing my hand against his gravestone.

James Collins Waston

1952 - 2016

A loving husband, dad, friend and person

"You can never change fate, but you can learn to accept it"

I stare at his gravestone and read the writings over and over again. "You know grandpa, grandma is coming to you soon. She really misses you. I do too. Take care of grandma hm? You know how bossy she can get." I laugh a little at the last sentence as tears roll down my cheeks. I remain quite as I lean down on the gravestone and listen to the leaves rustle in the late night.

Finally I decide to break the silence. "Grandpa I miss you so much. I miss you making those wise comments out of nowhere. I miss how you called me 'Lia', no one calls me that. I miss how you used to make those dad jokes. Grandpa you were like my father, my dad that I will never have. I don't want grandma to leave me. I know that's too much to ask for? I don't want to be selfish either. I know she wants to come to you and that you miss her too. Why can't I be happy grandpa? Why?" I sob. I look at the time on my phone. 11:58, it reads. I get up ready to go home.

The next morning I wake up to my alarm. I groan and turn over and slap my hand on the top, hurting myself in the process. I hiss in pain and get up. Great way to start your morning Amelia! (note the sarcasm). I go up to my closet and take out the first pair of clothes I see, which happens to be a pair of ripped black jeans and a gray plain t-shirt. I don't really have a huge closet so I don't mind and set into my bathroom, which also happens to be one of the two function bathrooms in our house. Our house has three bathrooms out of which one doesn't work. The ones that work our mine and the main guest bathroom situated in the living room.

After having a fairly long warm shower I set up in front of my mirror and put on my daily make-up: Mascara and a bit of lip gloss to avoid lip cracks. I step out of the bathroom in my clothes and start the search for my white vans. I look under the bed and find them. I take them out and tie them up before making my way downstairs.

I find my grandma inside the kitchen probably cooking something. I haven't talked to her since yesterday. I don't know how I will face her without crying. I take a deep breath and start to make my way towards her. "Hey grandma." I say. "Oh hey sweetie! Are you ready for school?" she asks me. "Yep" I say popping the 'P'. I picked up an apple from the fruit blow in front of me and before I could turn to leave my grandma stopped me. "No young lady! You are having a proper breakfast!" she yells at me. "But-" "No buts, take a seat on the chair and let me get you your breakfast." she says pointing towards the counter chair. I sigh in defeat as I make my way towards the chair.

My grandma places a plate of bacon and eggs in front of me and passes me a fork. I start eating it and drown into my deep thoughts.

I walk my way towards school, it's not really that cold right now considering it's mid-september in Toronto. It's fall, but not super cold, just a light breeze. I don't have a car, so the only option is to walk or take the school bus. I usually prefer walking, I do take the school bus when it snows though.

I enter the hallways of my high school, which is oddly crowded today, as I get closer to the crowd I hear the words "Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight". Huh? I wonder who it is now.

I push my way through the crowd which is hard because of my 5'2 frame. As I get closer I spot Ethan Turner and Lucas Murphy fist to fist. Both of them are panting and pushing each other. Lucas has a lip cut and Ethan has a bruised knuckle, probably from punching Lucas.

Let me introduce you to them. Ethan Turner and Lucas Murphy, once best friends now enemies. No one knows what broke their friendship up, they were good friends till freshman year when something happened and now both of them despise each other and tend to get into fights a lot.

Ethan is the practical definition of a 'highschool bad boy', he is a player, the captain of the football team, he doesn't give a shit about rules, girls drool over his 6'4 tall frame and he has the brains and looks.

Lucas is mostly the opposite of Ethan, he is the 'golden heart boy' if you know what I mean, he is kind, caring, respects women, goodlooking, girls adore his 6'2 frame and captain of the basketball team.

I get out of the crowd, tired of the everyday drama and start to make my way to my locker when someone bumps into my back, stumbling me forward. I catch a hold of myself with the help of a wall next to me and turn around to give the person behind me a piece of my mind, but when I see the person in front of me I seem to have lost my words in my mouth.

Ladies and gentleman, there stands Ethan in front of me with a cold glare on his face, which is most likely directed towards me.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There y'all go! Hope you enjoy it! :>