𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔

March 16

Atsumu's eyes widen.

"What?"

"I need to go home back to Keiji," Hikari repeats and looks towards the direction of town. "I don't know how to explain it, but I feel his sadness." Tapping her chest, she then clutches the fabric of her dress. "He needs me right now."

Atsumu was beyond stunned and speechless; it was moving all too quickly for him. Millions of thoughts and questions run through his head like never before. He never had to contemplate this much about something. Life was usually simple for the fox. Protect the forest, aid the forest, and maintain balance in the forest. Those were his purposes in life; it was clear and that's why he never had to question his decisions—besides what he should eat for dinner.

Then all of a sudden, a ball of light comes storming into his life and he starts developing feelings he had never felt before and never knew he could feel. Over the past few days, Atsumu's desire to fulfill a new purpose flourished.

"Atsumu-san," Hikari calls out, breaking Atsumu from his thoughts.

"H-huh?"

Tugging on his shirt, Hikari gives some puppy eyes.

"Can you take me home?"

Staring into her eyes, Atsumu's heart dropped to his stomach.

"But what about here? Can't this be your home? I thought you liked it here? What about me? When I'm with you, my soul is at its highest! Can't you just stay with me?" is what he wanted to say. Instead, Atsumu silently nods.

Monotonically, he says, "I will, first thing tomorrow."

Climbing down the tree, the both return back to a meadow where the two lay against a tree underneath the stars. It had been silent between the two since then until Atsumu finally built the courage to speak.

"Hikari-chan, why was I your first love?"

Her ears flush pink and Hikari embarrassingly turns to look at the boy besides her.

"H-huh? I thought I already told you, Atsumu-san," she says as she plays with her favorite strand of hair. Seeing her do so brings a smile on his lips.

"I just want to hear it again." He shrugs and looks at the sky. "I've never been told I was someone's first love."

Her face returns to its normal shade and she relaxes her muscles.

"Well, you were my first love because when I needed someone the most, you were there," she starts, "you heard my cries when no one else could and stayed beside me when I was most afraid. You could've left me be or even hurt me for all I know. Instead, you quietly comforted me by allowing me to fall asleep in your warm embrace even though I could clearly feel you were uncomfortable, haha—" Hikari stops in the middle of her sentence to turn to look at Atsumu who turns to look at her as well. "You were my first love, Miya Atsumu but beyond that, you are truly a blessing from God. Besides helping the forest, I can definitely say you have helped me. I'm thankful for meeting you, Atsumu-san. Thank you for sharing your warmth with me."

Staring back at her, Atsumu felt his heart clench as he lifted his hand to caress her cheek. There was so much he wanted to say and do with her still. He wanted to tell her his feelings he had for her and all of the excitement and energy he experienced when she was by his side. Instead, his hand falls from her cheek and he turns into original form.

"Let's go to sleep, Hikari-chan. You have a big day tomorrow, okay?"

Confused, Hikari just nods and lays her back against Atsumu's body.