11- Parties Are Not My Cup of Blood

I tried to hold my breath, the aroma of sweat and booze too much to handle. It was a blessing, and yet a curse to have such a sensitive nose, and my tongue literally watered as Nadia and I pushed through the crowds of dancing, laughing people, their insides smelling so damn refine.

“You okay?” She asked me, having to slightly yell for me to hear her over the music.

I didn’t feel like speaking, so I kept quiet as bodies bumped against me, bouncing around. I couldn’t make out a single kidney, in fact, because everything was meshing together, tricking my nostrils as they flared and came up unsuccessful.

“Hey sexy,” a man wearing a superman costume greeted Nadia, blocking our path with a sly grin on his face.

She watched him for a minute before speaking, her tone playfully shy, “Uh, hi.”

It was in an instant that I pushed him aside and dragged her on, not allowing for her to indulge in that conversation.

“What was that for?” She asked, looking quite curious.

I shrugged, seeing a free, open spacing in the room as we made our way in that direction, “I’d rather burn alive than witness an idiot hitting on you while in a pair of tights.”

She giggled, rolling her purple eyes, “He wasn’t hitting on me.”

“He referred to you as ‘sexy,’” I felt uncomfortable saying that word, “That’s considered hitting on someone.”

“What about calling someone pretty?”

I glanced over at her suggestive face, and I knew what she was getting at, “Attempt not to flatter yourself.”

She ignored that as she looked among the crowd eagerly, “You know who it is yet?”

She was referring to my victim and that was a large N.O.

A sigh slipped out from my lips, “Negative.”

“Oh, well that sucks,” she muttered before her eyes lit up, “In the meantime, I’m getting hammered. Don’t wait up!”

I wished I had the ability to roll my eyes, but I did not, so instead of being annoyed and lonely at a raging party full of sweaty, horny young adults, I followed behind her quickly. She found her destination which was a large red cooler, full of alcoholic drinks and ice that had begun melting, leaving a pool of freezing water. Her eyes were so wide and full of excitement that I found a smile creeping onto my own cheeks at her giddy expression. It was sort of, cute, I suppose. She grabbed at a bottle and twirled the cap off quickly before chugging like no tomorrow. Her head was tilted back as she inhaled the liquid, bubbles foaming inside of the clear bottle.

“Chug, chug, chug, chug!” A group of party goers chanted enthusiastically as they noticed her with untapped excitement, and soon, about a group of 10 people surrounded her, watching giddily.

She continued, only coming up for air twice as she polished the entire bottle off, raising its empty carcass to the heavens at her victory. The crowd whistled and high-fived her, happily going off to the next wicked drinker as she came over to me, a large smile on her flushed face.

“You, never fail to surprise me.”

She giggled at that, already looking dazed and intoxicated, “And you never fail to creep me out.”

“Then I am effectively doing my job.”

Her eyes rolled in her head as she set the bottle onto the gray carpet and grabbed my glove, yanking me off to somewhere else in the thumping home. I wasn’t focused on the bodies touching me as I was dragged past them or the deafening volume of the obnoxious music, but to the touch of her hand in mine. It was like our palms were melting together, and I was afraid I’d never be able to get them to detach. We arrived at another spot and there were less people dancing here, and more of them tasting each other’s saliva. I scrunched my nose up in a disgusted way, not finding the transfer of oral germs very enticing. In fact, I thought kissing in such a way was unsanitary, unnecessary, and…awkward.