10 - You're Pretty, I Suppose

“It’s so pretty out tonight!” Nadia smiled, staring up at the sky as we found our destination; the park.

We had come here last night too and played an annoying, and somewhat dreadful game that ended horribly. Tonight though, seemed to hold more promise of being relaxing, with a hint of revealing. I had a couple of questions to ask of her, and I assumed she had some for me. No, I knew she had some; she was always a curious one.

“Jack,” she turned to look at me as we approached an open field, the grass softer here than anywhere else as it over looked a lake, the city skyline just a head turn away, “Isn’t it so pretty out here tonight?! I mean, look at all the stars!”

She spoke that last part as though a warm whiff of dreams lightly dusted across her face and melted into her heart and she fell backwards, landing on the soft grass with a thud. I shook my head at her as she laid spread out, her lips in a dreamy smile and her eyes speckled with wonder and purple. There was something interesting about her face, something I’ve always seen but couldn’t quite make out until about now. Seeing the glow of inspiration painted across the bridge of her nose and the bloom of happiness on her pink cheeks made it so that I couldn’t deny that there was an almost amateur beauty about her.

“Yes,” I agreed, taking a seat next to her with one leg out stretched and the other bent, my arms propping me up from behind as I looked at the sky, “I suppose there isn’t much cloud coverage.”

“I don’t care about the clouds Jack,” she smiled, her smile growing even brighter, “It’s all about the stars.”

I glanced over at her, having an eyebrow raised behind my mask, “The stars, hm? What all do you actually know about them besides the fact that they’re pretty?”

“What do you mean?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at me now.

“As in, stellar evolution, a star’s chemical makeup, the spectrums of light they give off-”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” she stopped me, looking dazed, “I said I liked stars. Not science.”

Figuratively speaking, I rolled my eyes, “Stars are science. Everything is.”

“You and your science are getting on my nerves,” she pouted, “You and your knowledge in general is getting on my nerves.”

“Everything about you gets on my nerves,” I pointed out, lowering myself to my elbows, “And don’t say that like it’s a bad thing; knowledge is power.”

“Well so is money, and popularity…and,” she paused, looking over at me slowly, biting her lip as she raised an eyebrow, speaking in a slow, cheesy voice, “So is, loooovveee.”

I scoffed, shrugging, “Nothing but an illusion for fools and idiots.”

“It is not!” She defended, frowning, “You just say that because you think you’re always right and anything I say is wrong.”

“Because it’s true.”

“No!” She was beginning to sound increasingly offended, prepared for a debate, “Love, is the single greatest thing on the planet, and without it, our species would die.”

I shook my head, “Well many members of the human race are stupid, so I suppose that statement’s correct,” she didn’t understand my point yet, “Do you think animals feel love?”

She thought about it for a second, “Well, some do. I mean, some don’t because they’re just survivalists, but others, like dogs and cats and bears do; they make connections with other living beings.”