12 - You've Got a Beautiful Smile

gah, i know this is a really short chapter and i am sorry but i've been really busy and this story takes me longer to write than others for some reason i'm sorry!!!! I'll update by this weekend, promise!

-staypunky

***

It wasn’t too long of a hike over towards the cemetery; in fact, it felt shortened due to the lack of bubbling words that came from in between Nadia’s lips. She had fallen silent almost, only the sound of her calm, careful breathing contrasting against the sound of the night, its sky holding billions of brilliant, twinkling masses of gas. It was peaceful, lovely even, and I pushed the creaky gate open as I continued to carry the tired girl on my back.

“Where to?” I asked over my shoulder, seeing the widespread range of graves, green hills and trees, flowers masking the dark setting with bursts of uplifting colors.

She picked her head up, her voice quiet as she looked around until she pointed, “Over there.”

I silently gave an ‘okay’, heading towards that general direction. Hiking over a hill, the cemetery became slightly more dense, graves turning into large, ominous crypts, engravings carved into each fate of the poor, dead individuals inside.

“If I may ask, what is the reason you’d want to come here?” I asked with a raised eyebrow, looking at her from over my shoulder.

She had a small smile on her face as she hopped off of my back, stumbling a little before regaining balance as she ran off behind a mass of trees. I sighed to myself, not in the mood to follow, but I did none the less and as I made it through the thicket of trees, a large field opened up, the sky bombarded with shinning stars. The sight was magnificent, if I must say so, and for a moment, my breath had stopped circulating as I gazed around, seeing her as she giggled, lying down onto the grass before pushing herself over. She rolled down the hill, coming to the bottom as she slowed, her giggles trailing magically behind her. I shook my head, unable to will the smile I had to fade away.

“Your turn,” she smiled, calling up to me.

A small gust of warm wind blew past, causing me to slightly shiver from it, “Perhaps another time.”

“Jack!” She pouted, looking saddened, “Please?”

I shook my head, “Haven’t I done enough for you? I’ve spared your life, given you cake, put up with your childish ways, and carried you around wherever you’d like-”

“And you’ve stripped for me too,” she added with a tiny laugh as I rolled my eyes, metaphorically speaking, of course.

“Don’t remind me.”

“Please Jacky?” She asked, the added ‘Y’ causing my cheeks to brighten for an unknown, odd reason.

I thought about it, ultimately deciding that it was a no. But as I went to tell her this, my gaze connected with hers, and there was a softness about her face that caused me to lose breath for a moment, her smile sending ripples up my spine. It was as though her being, as it was quiet, concentrated and light had an effect on me. There was a beauty in her silence, although it wasn’t silent because the gust of wind and faded sounds of the city just over the horizon was the soundtrack to her smile, and her smile was the soundtrack to the warming of my chest.

“Jack?” She questioned after a moment of my silence as she tilted her head to the side, her ponytails tilting with it.

I tore myself from my short termed paralysis and sighed, deciding to comply, “Alright, I’ll do it.”

She made a noise that I suppose interpreted her happiness as I sat onto the warms grass before lying down, pushing my body into a roll. I tumbled down the hill, holding onto the bottom of my mask to insure its safety until I reached the bottom, bumping along side of her.