Chapter XV ~ ᛉ (Algiz) Part I - Crossing Bridges...

Start from the beginning

" There's a first-aid box in the bathroom. I'll go get it! "

" No need to. "
Someone squeezed past me, hesitance in both voice & walk, stepping just close enough to David to hand him the small white first-aid box.
It was Michael.

" I assumed you could use it... once things had settled down.. "

David seemed surprised, eyeing the young Emerson in silence before slowly pulling the box out of his hands.
" Appreciated, Michael ~ "

The way he said those two words sent a chill right down my spine & apparently Michael's as well, as indicated by his immediate withdrawal. Next to me he came to a halt, our eyes meeting for the perhaps most awkward exchange of looks ever.
Inside them I saw questions. Dozens, maybe even hundreds of questions. And fear. Crippling, beclouding fear. I could tell that he was aching to go home, a desire that given the circumstances was more than understandable, but by now he too seemed to be aware that leaving the house wasn't the wisest thing to do, at least not before sunrise.

I opened my mouth to inquire about his current condition when I felt a hand on my shoulder & a half-covered chest in my back, capturing the image of Dwayne from the corner of my eye before he positioned himself right behind me.

" Michael. You & I should fix the kitchen window ~ "

The young Emerson arched a brow.
" How do you propose to do that? "

" All we need is a few planks & nails. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it will do for the rest of the night. We can't leave the window wide open & unguarded the whole time. "
A strong arm slipped around my waist & pulled me in.
I couldn't really explain why, but there was something possessive about that particular gesture, & it admittedly scared me a little. Dwayne's hugs were always protective, caring. They felt like home to me. And of course they still did.
However now there was something else. Something that - at least in this very moment - burdened me with a feeling of jealousy.

Did he actually feel threatened by Michael?

" Very well ~ "
Michael replied after a brief pause, pulling me out of my thoughts.
" You got any spare wood around here? Perhaps an old closet we could sacrifice? "

I smiled.
" There are actually a few old planks from my landlord in the basement. I highly doubt that he's going to miss them... "

" Alright, let's go."
Michael took off without so much as a final look at us to vanish in the hallway, almost like he wanted to flee the scene. I on the other hand couldn't help but glance back over my shoulder to check up on David & Paul who were still taking care of a severely injured Marko, on the floor a steadily growing pile of blood-soaked tissues & generously drenched mull.
I felt my stomach twist & my heart drop at the image, the suppressed feelings of guilt now circling back & hitting me with full force.

Every single scratch on his body, each wound & bruise, no matter how small, including the pain he had to endure - all of it was on me. No one else but me...

A warm hand cupped my cheek & turned my face away from the three vampires, instead forcing me to look into the dark yet reassuring eyes of a fourth one.
" He will be fine, Lily. He has been through worse.
Come on. Let's take care of the rest ~ "

I wasn't given much of a choice but immediately dragged along by Dwayne, out of the living room & after Michael, & truth be told I was beyond grateful for that. I certainly wouldn't have found the strength to leave by myself...

_________

I sat on the kitchen counter all lost in my thoughts, watching absent-mindedly as Michael & Dwayne went to fix the broken window in a rather amateurish but efficient enough way. We had actually found a couple of old teak timbers in the basement; leftovers from the day my landlord had built the porch. It wasn't the thickest & most solid type of wood but it was enough to keep the cold outside & prevent something - or in our particular case someone - from climbing in, at least for a couple of days.