Chapter 4 - The One With The Adoption

The next two weeks of Ishita's life were spent in three places: her clinic, her home, and Little Smiles Adoption Agency. Her clinic had been relatively quiet with only a couple appointments every day and the majority of her time spent doing administrative paperwork. The home front had turned a bit more hectic however, since Mihika got the job she had been yearning for. She was now the marketing manager of an up and coming business firm of Delhi, which meant she wasn't home until late in the evening, leaving Amma and Appa alone for most of the day. All three sisters had been trying to find a proper work life balance to make sure their parents were properly taken care of. The rest of Ishita's time went by at the adoption agency as she was called in for various interviews and background checks. And every time, she either bumped into or made a point to meet Ruhi. With every meet, her love for the little girl had deepened, and with every meet, Ruhi had opened up to Ishita even more. She now lit up at the very mention of Ishita and excitedly asked when her "best friend Ishita aunty" would come again to meet her.

Mr. Yadav's ray of hope had now solidified into a plan to get Ruhi a family. Thus, he had been particularly keen on Ishita's case, hoping against hope that the board would clear her application. He had repeatedly mentioned to the board that Ishita was the perfect parent for Ruhi. He had also come personally to Ishita's house and clinic to survey her home and work environment, along with his team. And thanks to his efforts, Ishita's application had moved along very quickly.

Today, Ishita had to come for one last meeting with Mr. Yadav to finalize the last of the paperwork. Today, Mr. Yadav hoped to introduce Ishita to her daughter and Ruhi to her mother.

Ishita was seated across from Mr. Yadav in his office signing the last document that he had presented before her. She handed it over once she had signed it, and Mr. Yadav neatly placed it with the other documents into Ishita's file.

"Ms. Iyer, now all the paperwork on your behalf is done. I just have to file and submit these last papers and you will officially be a mother. Ruhi's mother."

"Ruhi's mother?! I will get to be Ruhi's mom? Are you sure, Mr. Yadav?"

"More than anything. I see you with Ruhi every time you come here. Ruhi hasn't ever opened up to anyone like she has to you. She has been so chirpy and vibrant ever since she has befriended you. And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that if she goes home with you as your daughter, then she will be happy, healthy, and loved for the rest of her life."

Ishita couldn't believe her ears. She was going to be a mother. And that too Ruhi's mother. The little angel with whom she had fallen in love with at first sight. The sheer joy of that thought threatened to spill out of her eyes and explode her heart. She would be able to take Ruhi -- her daughter -- into her arms and into her home. But she stopped her tears from spilling out, for she still had cause of worry. Would Ruhi accept her? Would she agree to come home with her?

"I can't thank you enough for this Mr. Yadav. You have no idea how elated I am that I will be Ruhi's mother. But will she agree? I mean, what if she refuses?"

"I hardly think that will be a problem Dr. Iyer. I think she will be just as happy as you are right now. But why don't you ask her yourself?"

The duo walked out of Mr. Yadav's office and into the children's play area where Ruhi was giving her dolls a tea party.

"Ruhi, come here beta. Look, Ishita Aunty is here to meet you," Mr. Yadav called out to Ruhi, who at once forgot the imaginary biscuits she was serving her dolls and ran into Ishita's arms.

"Ishita aunty! Aap aa gaye?" Ishita kneeled down to pick her up and gave her a tight hug.

[Ishita aunty! You came?]