Chapter 37 - The One Where Bala Shocks Ishita (& Raman)

Batra Medical Center, Dentistry Clinic - the next day, Thursday, 11 am

"Sarika, Mrs. Sarvankar hasn't shown up with her daughter for her dental cleaning for a second time. Can you call and find out if she's coming or not? If she doesn't reply, then send a letter of inquiry to her house," Ishita instructed the medical receptionist.

"Yes ma'am. Of course."

"Thanks Sarika. Make sure it's on the official clinic letterhead, okay? And bring it to me to sign off on it before you send it."

"Okay ma'am. I'll have it ready by the end of the day."

"Perfect, thank you."

Ishita walked back to her office and sat down in her chair. She rotated her computer screen to eliminate the glare and reviewed her schedule for the day. With Mrs. Sarvankar's no-show and another cancellation at 11:30, she was free of appointments until noon. Her lunch break went from 12 to 12:30, which meant she had one and a half hours on her hand.

Straightening her posture, Ishita opened a folder that Dr. Batra had shared with her two weeks ago. It contained four different dentistry research proposals that he had consolidated over the years. Now that he had enough staff to delegate his clinical responsibilities to, he wanted to prioritize his research aspirations. And he had asked Ishita to review his proposals and even work on one with him if she was interested. Ishita was always a clinician first, but exploring the up and coming research in her field could be just as interesting.

Twenty minutes later, she was almost halfway through the second proposal, when her phone vibrated on her desk.

Bala Jeeju: Hey Ishu, do you have a minute? I need to talk to you.

Ishita's spine snapped straight in attention. Was everything okay?

Ishita: What's wrong jeeju?

Bala: Can we talk in person? I am busy from 1-4 pm but I can adjust my schedule otherwise. We can meet at some coffee shop or I can come to your clinic too. Do you have any openings in your schedule today?

Ishita: I'm free until 12:30 actually. Can you come to my clinic? I can't leave the premises while I'm on the clock. There is a small cafe in the medical complex. We can talk there.

Bala: Okay, I'll be there in about 20 minutes.

Ishita: Jeeju, is everything okay? Should I be worried? Are Vandu akka and Shravu okay?

Bala: Vandu and Shravu are completely fine, Ishu. Nothing to be worried about. We'll talk in a bit, okay?

Ishita: Okay. Text me once you're here.

Bala: Ok 👍🏼

.....................................................................................................................

Batra Medical Center Cafe - 11:40 am

"Jeeju, you're freaking me out now. Please bolo na asli kya baat hai?" Ishita implored. [Please tell me what's the problem.]

They had been sitting in the cramped cafe on a tiny table for almost seven minutes, with Bala asking Ishita about her work, offering to buy her coffee and bagels, and telling her about how he miraculously fought almost zero traffic in the way. Basically saying everything other than the real reason why he had asked Ishita to be here. Finally, Ishita lost her patience and pretty much demanded to know the real reason behind his visit.

"Ishu... Listen, I didn't know who other than you to go to with this... I thought... but then... I mean, I couldn't even tell Vandu..."

"JEEJU!" Ishita nearly shrieked from anticipation. "Mera blood pressure badh raha hai. Jo bhi hai, seedhe seedhe bata dijiye." [My blood pressure is going through the roof. Just say what you have to say.]