Chapter 2 - The One Where Everything Falls Apart

Azure Women's Clinic - Three weeks after Ishita's surgery, 10 am

"Hi, My name is Dr. Subramaniam and this is my fianceé Dr. Ishita Iyer. We're here for Ishita's appointment with Dr. Amanda Smith."

"Yes sir, Dr. Smith is just finishing her appointment with another patient right now. Please have a seat in the waiting area, and you'll be called in when she is ready."

"Ok perfect. Thank you."

Subbu and Ishita smiled at the receptionist and walked over to the waiting area and took a seat. Subbu had been adamant at bringing Ishita here for a checkup with his OB/GYN specialist friend ever since she had been discharged, but only today had he managed to get an appointment with her.

"Subbu, Dr. Smith must be a very busy doctor if it took you three weeks to get an appointment even despite being her close friend. But why have you been so hell bent on getting me checked with her? Dr. Awasthi has been very happy with my recovery."

"I know that Ishu, but Dr. Awasthi is a gynecologic surgeon. While Dr. Smith is actually an OB/GYN who has specialized in multiple fellowships. She has much more training than Dr. Awasthi, so I just wanted her to check on you as well."

"I see. What has she done her fellowship in? I saw her name outside but I didn't have a chance to read her specialization. Was it maternal-fetal medicine? Or...?"

"Actually Ishu, she is a specialist in..."

Before Subbu finished answering, a nurse bellowed from inside the exam room, "Ms. Ishita Iyer! Dr. Smith shall see you now!" And Ishita was on her way in.

.....................................................................................................................

15 minutes later

Dr. Smith had now finished Ishita's exam and had looked over her post-op scans and reports that she had brought with her.

"Well Dr. Iyer, it seems as though you have been having a very smooth recovery. Now remember, no physical exertion or heavy lifting. You're not working right now are you?"

"No doctor, in fact, my fiancé has made me quit my job as well. He wants to make sure I have a speedy recovery so we can get married at the earliest."

"I understand you both want to get married soon Dr. Iyer, but please take care of yourself. Although I am Christian, I do know that Hindu weddings can be very exhausting for the bride and groom, particularly for the bride."

"Of course doctor. Don't worry. I'll take care of myself."

Ishita stepped down from the exam table after Dr. Smith finished her exam. She walked out of the exam room and encountered Subbu who was finishing the payment for the visit.

"Subbu, the checkup is done. And my recovery is also going well. Can we go home now? Vandu akka and Bala jeeju are meeting us there for lunch remember?"

"Of course Ishu, just give me a few minutes. I'll just have a quick chat with Amanda. Why don't you wait in the car?"

"Subbu, us din hospital mein tum Dr. Awasthi se baat kar rahe the. Aaj tumhe Dr. Smith se baat karni hai. Itni chinta kyun kar rahe ho meri recovery ki? Main thik hoon baba. Aur jald hi puri tarha thik ho jaaungi. Tumne to meri job bhi choodva di." 

[Subbu, the other day you were talking to Dr. Awasthi in the hospital. Today you want to talk to Dr. Smith. Why are you so worried about my recovery? I'm fine. And soon I'll be completely all right. You even made me leave my job.]

"Ab tak naaraz ho us baat ko leke? I worry about you Ishu, isiliye tumhe job chodne ko bola tha. Aur main bas paanch minute baat karke aata hoon. Please?"