if i were you: fives

-weird, sorta high schooly AU thing inspired by Kimi no na Wa (Your Name) where you and Fives have a connection and meet
-for reasons that make it easier for me, this takes place in the US in 2020, so yeah, COVID is a thing
-it's been a while since I've written any Star Wars one-shots. I've been so busy working on lol

Summary: You and Fives dream about each other, but you've never actually met face to face. You are from a different reality than his where Star Wars is fictional. You believe he's real, but only can prove it to yourself when he appears in your world. Fives learns about how stressful life off the battlefield can be.
WARNINGS: Mentions of violence, stressing over grades, punishment by parents (more like implied. I won't write it out, so it's vaguely stated.)

You sat on a crate, watching the flames lick at the air as Fives smiled to himself. You liked having dreams like this, where you both comfortably sat by the fire, chatting about your contrasting lives. You used to believe Star Wars was a fictional world, until you had dreams about Fives. He was always so real in your mind anyway, and this only made you want to believe in his existence more.

"I have a big test tomorrow, but I don't think I'm going to do so well." you mumbled with a sigh. "It makes me feel bad that I'm struggling with this while you struggle with an actual issue." Fives shook his head, shrugging a little as if it explained everything. "But I was bred for this, for war I mean. If I weren't a soldier, I don't know what I'd be." He chuckled. "I can't imagine myself sitting in a classroom all day learning about geometry and algebra. There are some boys who like that stuff in the 212th, but it seems like a waste to me."

You nodded in agreement. "Exactly. School is only good for producing data-rich kids who lack experience, especially when they start working and finding jobs."

"That's how I felt when I was first deployed. No matter how much training you get, or how much you learn, experience is the best teacher. And like Rex always says--"

"--experience outranks everything." you said in unison. Fives smiles, and he looks rather happy that you know that. But of course you do, in your world he's only a fictional character. A person created by some movie producer or director or something (he didn't remember). It gave him a mixed a feeling, a doubt of his very existence. Was he purely fictional? A fragment of someone's own imagination?

But then you told him something he swore to never forget: Just because it's happening inside your head doesn't mean it isn't real. The world works in mysterious ways. Maybe we were meant to meet.

And so he hung onto that, always looking forward to when he fell asleep and talked to you. You always looked forward to your dreams too, allowing yourself to forget all of your responsibilities and problems. You never had anything to worry about around Fives, and having him by your side made you feel safe.

"I wish we could meet for real." You didn't mean to say that out loud and instinctively looked to meet Fives's gaze. He nodded in agreement, resting his arms on his knees. "Me too, but if we do I'd rather you not see how horrific the Clone Wars has been."

"I wish the Clone Wars could have ended differently."

Fives looks uncertain of your answer, and he wonders if he should ask what the outcome of the War is. He wants to, but deep inside, he knows he shouldn't.

---------------

You awake in your bed, rubbing at your eyes as your alarm goes off. You turn it off, glancing at the time groggily. 6:00. A sigh leaves your lips and you roll out of bed. There's movement in your sheets. You freeze, taking note of how human-like the form was. "It's too early for this sleep paralysis demons, stop--" you rip off the sheets as fast as you can, "--oh..." You trail off, eyes wide in bewilderment. There's a familiar man in your bed, except, he isn't a man at all.