Chapter Twelve: Happy Holidays

Misaki stood in the middle of her new apartment with her arms crossed and a petulant look on her face as she watched Hawks flit around from room to room like an excited teenager, knowing he was doing it sarcastically.

In the middle of the living room: "So spacious!"

In the bedroom: "This bed! So spacious!"

In front of the balcony: "These windows! So spacious!"

She cocked an eyebrow at him, taping her finger against her bicep and sighing in irritation, "Are you done?"

He turned his head to grin at her over his shoulder. "I'm done."

Shaking her head, she relaxed her posture and turned her head to gaze around the living space. "I agree, it is a lot more spacious than I was expecting. I won't say the furnishing is entirely to my taste, but it's neutral enough not to bother me too much."

Truthfully, it was a bit more modern than she was accustomed to, a few of the furniture pieces reminding her of the one's she'd seen in Hawks's apartment. She considered her style to be more rustic/glam with an emphasis on soft fabrics and large, plush pillows that she could sink down into after a long day at work. The couch and chairs were taught white leather, low backed with thin cushions; not exactly comfortable, in her opinion.

The saving grace of the provided furnishings was the large, king size bed in the bedroom. It was just wide enough for Hawks to spread his wings out without his longer feathers hanging over the edge. He'd checked. Normally having so much space to sleep on would have intimidated her, but the mattress that covered the expansive flat panel frame was incredibly plush. She anticipated spending quite a bit of time lounging across the spacious surface.

"You've got a pretty good view of downtown, huh? What floor is this?" Hawks asked, staring out into the heart of downtown Shinjuku from behind the sliding glass door that led out to a long, shallow balcony.

Misaki sat back against the top edge of one of the leather chairs, crossing her arms as she replied, "Twenty, out of twenty-five."

He turned and surveyed the living space again appraisingly, "Pretty swanky for government housing."

She shrugged. "It's not bad."

"How's the new job treating you?" Hawks asked, turning to lean back against the door and crossing his arms.

She blew out a heavy sigh. "It's... A lot. The learning curve is probably a lot higher for me than for most people, since I don't really know too much about the hero business. At all. I've definitely had my homework cut out for me."

"Damn," he cursed softly under his breath.

"What?" She asked, noticing his sudden chagrin.

He shrugged and an ornery grin stretched across his face. "I figured you'd either fold under the stress of having to go through a background check or the President's ridiculous expectation levels would send you running back within the first week."

Her eyes narrowed and she crossed her arms before commenting dryly, "Well I'm sorry to disappoint you but I am still employed."

Pushing off from the chair, Misaki turned and walked off in the direction of the kitchen to fix herself a cup of tea. Hawks followed after her, keeping his eyes averted as he leaned back against the counter and shoved his hands into the pockets of his dark wash jeans. She'd barely batted an eye when he'd shown up on her balcony wearing a rust colored, paisley patterned jacket over a sky-blue hoodie. Apparently, he'd taken the day off to come visit her in her new apartment.