Chapter Seven: Just A Kiss

Misaki and Hawks sat shoulder to shoulder on his white leather couch, their wide eyes wet with fat tears as they watched the credits roll across the large projector screen mounted on the wall across from them. Misaki's knees were pulled up into her chest while her slender arms which were draped in a bright orange throw blanket wrapped tightly around them. Hawks sat cross legged next to her in a pair of black sweatpants and a white t-shirt with spots of dark blue tie-dye scattered all over it. He'd changed out of his work uniform before they'd started the movie.

"That was so good!" She breathily exclaimed, blowing her nose into the tissue she'd plucked from the box sitting next to her on the couch.

"Gets me every time!" Hawks replied as he wiped his eyes with the back of his arm.

She let out a short laugh. "Look at us, we're a mess."

He reached around her back for the box of tissues, shaking it when he noticed that it was almost empty. "You nearly cleaned me out of tissues."

She glared at him out of the corner of her eye. "You used just as much as I did."

He just grinned back at her before reaching for the remote. "Yeah, probably. Wanna pop in another one?"

She shook her head, dropping her feet onto the floor and leaning forward on the couch. "Nah, I think my tear ducts have taken about all they can at this point. I'm gonna call it a night."

He hit the button on the remote to turn off the projector, then another one to turn up the dimmed overhead lights. "Wanna bunk over? The couch is pretty comfy."

Her gaze shifted over to the back of the couch. She had to admit, for paten leather, the thing was pretty cushy. She smirked at him and hummed, "Hm, you shouldn't have any trouble sleeping here tonight then."

His head dropped and a small chuckle escaped him. He looked back over and shot her a sideways grin as he replied, "Nice one, Misa-chan."

She dropped her gaze to her knees, considering to herself whether to voice the thought that had been floating around the back of her mind since the moment he'd brought her into his home. She wasn't sure she would really call their lunch meetings "dates", but she had gotten the impression while she'd been getting to know him over the past couple of months that he was interested in being more than friends. She couldn't say she was opposed to the idea. She felt more comfortable with him than she had with anyone she'd ever dated before; it didn't hurt that he was pretty easy on the eyes either.

Turning her head to glance at him through her bangs, she carefully said, "I wouldn't mind, you know..."

"What's that?" He asked, glancing over at her and blinking.

"Sharing the bed." She held his gaze as she put the suggestion out there, carefully reading his expression as he considered her offer.

His golden eyes widened momentarily before he gulped and swiftly averted his gaze. He leaned forward and raked a hand though his hair with a haggard sigh. Misaki felt her heart drop into the pit of her stomach like a lead weight. She immediately wished that she could pluck those words out of the air and shove them right back down her throat.

Had she really read him so wrong?

"You know, I think it's pretty obvious that I'm into you, Misa-chan," Hawks said as he looked back up at her, a hint of regret in his pointed gaze. "And if you invite me like that, I'm not very confident that I'd be able to control myself sleeping next to you." He shook his head and looked back down. "After everything you've been through over the last few days, even if you didn't see it that way, I'd feel like I was taking advantage of you."