Chapter Nine: Hero For A Day

Misaki quickly jogged down the stairs leading to the second floor of her house on Saturday morning while pulling her hair back into a low looped ponytail. She stopped in front of the mirror at the bottom of the stairs and opened a drawer in the narrow hanging shelving underneath before pulling out some lip balm. Just as she'd finished applying a thin layer over her lips, she was startled by the unexpected sound of a knock on her back door. Glancing over, she placed the lip balm back in the drawer and slid it closed before turning and heading in that direction. She flipped the lock and pulled open the door to find Hawks standing there with his hands in his trouser pockets and a broad grin on his face.

"Ready to go to work?" He asked with a chipper tone.

"Um," she stammered for a moment, blinking at him in surprise. "You didn't have to come pick me up."

He shrugged and turned his head to the side. "Your house was on the way to my first call."

When he'd called her last night, he'd told her just to stop by the agency whenever she was ready and he'd come by to pick her up when he got a call that she could accompany him on. As far as plans went, it had seemed pretty "fly by the seat of your pants", but she supposed that was just the way things went in his line of work. It wasn't like crime was something that stuck to a schedule or anything. But she hadn't expected him to throw what shaky plans they did have out the window and come pick her up from her house first thing in the morning. He'd wanted her to get an idea of what the hero business was like; apparently that included the odd hours as well.

She stepped back into the house, leaving the door open for him to follow as she held her arms out to the side and asked, "Should I bring anything? Is what I'm wearing okay?"

He closed the door behind him before turning his head to assess her attire which consisted of a pair of form fitting black jeans and a heavy, orange V-neck sweater. Reaching into his coat pocket, he pulled out a spare visor and held it out to her as he said, "Put this on. You got a heavy coat?"

"Yeah?" She replied, her tone inquisitive as she slid the visor over her eyes before pushing it up to rest atop her forehead. It was a little big for her, but at least it didn't feel like it would fall off of her face.

"You'll need it. A scarf probably wouldn't hurt either," he added as an afterthought, his wary eyes lingering on the neckline of her sweater.

Misaki walked over to the entryway closet and pulled out her heavy winter coat, sliding her arms inside and testing her range of motion with the extra padding from the sleeves of her sweater. Deciding she was comfortable enough, she sat down on the entryway bench and pulled on her winter boots before bending over to cinch the laces. Grabbing one of the thicker scarves from the hanging rack inside the front door, she wrapped it around her neck and tucked the ends into her coat before she walking back over to the back door.

Hawks reached out when she stopped to stand in front of him and snapped a pair of headphones over her ears, sliding the visor down over her eyes in the process before asking, "Ready?"

"Wha—?" She cut off as he suddenly pulled her into his arms and immediately took off out the back door.

She held her hand firmly over the visor, having felt it come loose a bit when they took off. She was glad to have it though, and the scarf, as the cold winter wind swiftly streamed past them. Feeling secure that the visor was snug against her face, she reached up to wrap her arms around his neck and lightly groused, "A little warning next time?"

The edge of one side of his mouth tilted upward in a wry grin and he glanced down at her out of the corner of his eye. "I asked if you were ready."