Chapter Twenty-Four: Scramble

The headquarters of the Hero Public Safety Commission was alive with activity in the wake of an attack on two UA hero course classes at a remote location called the Beast Forest. The Wild Wild Pussycat training ground had been loaned out last minute at the request of the UA teacher, Eraser Head, to be used as a summer training camp. They had been ambushed only a couple of days into their training program by a group of villains who had identified themselves as members of the League of Villains.

Several of the students, who had been granted permission by Eraser Head to use their quirks to protect themselves against the attackers, had been injured during the battle that had ensued. Pixie-Bob of the Wild Wild Pussycats had also sustained non-life-threatening injuries while her teammate, Ragdoll, had gone missing altogether. She, along with one of the UA hero course students, were presumed to have been captured and taken hostage by the villains who had retreated after three of their group had been defeated.

Under orders from the President, Misaki was scrambling to coordinate a rescue effort for the kidnapped student with the lead police detective on the case and several hero agencies. She had already called every top ranking hero, as well as many of the agencies in and around the Yokohama area, to inform them of the situation and enlist their aid. She had just hung up with Gang Orca's agency rep when the President's office door opened behind her.

The woman glanced down at her as she strode out into the lobby and curtly ordered, "Come with me."

Misaki hastily reached for her notebook, picking it and her pen up from the surface of her desk before hurrying after her boss. As she entered the elevator, the President reached down to press the button for the third floor.

"Where are we going?" Misaki asked breathlessly, more to do with the President's stern countenance than her sudden rush to follow the order she'd been given.

"To the police briefing. Since it was your tip that ultimately led us to investigate Kamino, I thought you should be present for this." The President looked over at her pointedly as she said, "This is an educational experience only. You are to watch and listen and remain silent. Is that understood?"

Misaki hastily nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

The woman returned her nod before turning to face forward once more. Misaki could barely contain her excitement. After almost two months of being relegated to strictly secretarial work, it appeared that the President had finally decided to start involving her in important matters again. If she was allowing her the opportunity to watch and learn from a live police briefing, maybe that meant she had finally forgiven her for her poor judgement on the Stain assignment.  Perhaps she might even be ready to give her another chance at some more meaningful work.

The elevator doors slid open as they arrived on the third floor. This floor was home to several large conference rooms which were often used for meetings, such as the one they would be attending. The President led her into the room at the far end of a long hallway where several other Safety Commission employees were already gathered. On a large screen at the end of a long conference table was a room containing another large, U-shaped conference table with several men seated around it. The President walked over to sit at the end of the table opposite the screen and directed Misaki to stand by the wall behind her chair.

The conversation in the room abruptly died down and a moment later, the voice of the Commissioner of the National Police Force rang out from the speaker in the middle of the large conference table. "You've all been briefed about the investigation detective Tsukauchi and his team have been conducting in and around the Kamino Ward of Yokohama for the past two months. Two weeks ago, one of Tsukauchi's subordinates interviewed a civilian who noticed a man with a distinctive patchwork skin pattern enter an underground bar that was believed to be abandoned. Last night, a villain matching that man's description attacked the UA training camp being conducted inside the Beast Forest and kidnapped one of the students. He identified himself and his accomplices as members of the League of Villains."