Chapter Nineteen: Distraction

Misaki sat at her dining room table, offhandedly stirring a bowl of soup as she read through the file of documents she'd pulled together about the Hero Killer. The villain known as Stain had been born Akaguro Chizome. What she'd been able to uncover about his childhood had painted a relatively normal picture. Like many kids, Chizome had been inspired to become a hero after witnessing All Might's heroic debut. However, he had only completed one year of courses at the hero academy he'd attended before dropping out and adopting the vigilante persona, Stendhal. A long history of murder and bloodshed had ensued after that until he'd eventually switched his hunting targets from villains to heroes, which had earned him his current moniker as the Hero Killer: Stain.

"Oh man, this guy is a piece of work..." She trailed off as she read through the mantra he'd posted online about his "Revival of Heroics" ideology.

"What guy would that be?" A familiar voice suddenly asked from across the room.

Misaki glanced up sharply to see Hawks leaning over a chair and watching her from the other side of the table. She immediately snapped the file closed with a sharp gasp.

He narrowed his eyes at her slightly and teasingly trailed off, "Suspicious..."

Misaki sighed and shook her head in exasperation. "Don't be ridiculous, it's just work."

He shrugged, moving around the table to sit next to her. "You've talked about your work with me before."

"This is different..." She deflected a bit uncomfortably while shifting her gaze away.

He slid his sharp, golden eyes to the file lying under her hand and asked with a hint of interest in his voice, "Special project?"

"Something like that," she candidly replied as she moved the file to the other side of the table under his careful scrutiny.

"Hm..." He hummed as he continued to stare at it suspiciously.

Misaki rose from her seat and walked into the kitchen to place her dishes in the sink. In an effort to sidetrack him from his interest in the folder, she asked, "You'll be hosting your intern starting next week, right?"

***

Hawks watched her walk by, keeping his eyes firmly trained on her perky behind which was barely covered by the light gray and pink stripped shorts she had on, while mumbling distractedly, "Yeah, I guess..."

"What does that mean?" She asked as she turned on the water to rinse out her bowl. "Don't you have any plans for training him?"

His gaze never wavered from watching her lower half move around the kitchen as he nonchalantly replied, "Just the normal stuff."

She turned to face him, leaning against the sink and crossing her arms as he slowly trailed his eyes up her torso to meet her gaze. "Don't tell me you're really planning on just grilling him and then leaving him with your sidekicks the whole time?"

Leaning back in his chair with a shrug, he tossed her a sideways grin and quipped, "I can't help it if they can't keep up."

She just shook her head, clearly exasperated with his nonchalant attitude, and turned to open the refrigerator, effectively cutting off his view of her sinfully short shorts. "He's your intern, I suppose. Any exposure is probably good exposure at this point."

Hawks turned his attention back to the folder on the table, discretely sending one of his smallest feathers to lift the edge so he could peek inside. "You're really not gonna tell me what's in the file?"